Nissan Frontier Forum banner
141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
update:my forest river 261 bhxl is a dream to tow! with weight distributing hitch and sway bars, felt very stable at highway speeds. towing on flat ground i get between 11-14 (Wind and elevation changes). towing up from denver to eisenhower tunnel got about 7 mpg....still 2mpg better than when i dragged my dad's trailer!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, this thread looks like it's still active so I'll put this here.

I've read this whole thread and others related to towing a TT. Looks like a Frontier should have no problem with my Jay Flight 145RB. It has a dry weight of 2,250 and hitch weight of 230. Gross weight is still under 3,000 and I keep it light. I'm seriously considering a 2017 or 2018 4x4 SV with automatic and 5' bed.

So my question is this. How does the Frontier handle heat while towing? I live in Northern Nevada. That means hilly, mountainous terrain and at times 100 degree days. Would the Frontier handle a long uphill grade on a 100 degree day without getting too stressed?

What I enjoy doing is hauling my little TT out in the desert and dry camping. That is my base camp while I go explore the surrounding area. I think a 4x4 Frontier would make a good rig to explore the desert. If it can also pull my TT then it would be perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
It will have no problem with the heat. I know Colorado is cooler but I have towed my 30’ trailer over all the mountain passes here in 90*+ and haven’t seen the needle move at all. And I’m talking big passes, like Hoosier and Loveland pass

·
Registered
352 Posts
It will have no problem with the heat. I know Colorado is cooler but I have towed my 30’ trailer over all the mountain passes here in 90*+ and haven’t seen the needle move at all. And I’m talking big passes, like Hoosier and Loveland pass

·
Registered
277 Posts

I've read this whole thread and others related to towing a TT. Looks like a Frontier should have no problem with my Jay Flight 145RB. It has a dry weight of 2,250 and hitch weight of 230. Gross weight is still under 3,000 and I keep it light. I'm seriously considering a 2017 or 2018 4x4 SV with automatic and 5' bed.

So my question is this. How does the Frontier handle heat while towing? I live in Northern Nevada. That means hilly, mountainous terrain and at times 100 degree days. Would the Frontier handle a long uphill grade on a 100 degree day without getting too stressed?

What I enjoy doing is hauling my little TT out in the desert and dry camping. That is my base camp while I go explore the surrounding area. I think a 4x4 Frontier would make a good rig to explore the desert. If it can also pull my TT then it would be perfect.
I believe the Jeep has a 3500 lb towing capacity. The SV 4x4 has over 6000 lb towing capacity.

I can't speak for the heat, but I spent a week in 100 degree heat with my SV V6 and it is spitting coolant out of the plastic reservoir onto the inside of the fender and making a nice smell and stain. That is from commuting 40 miles to the job site daily.

I never saw the temp gauge get near the anything considered hot so not sure why it spit some out.

·
1,672 Posts

I tow my Coachman Viking 14r travel trailer and it has a GVWR 3625 in AZ and its no problem. I also have a NV with the same motor (V6 4.0L) and its a lot heavier than my Frontier and has 0 issues.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,380 Posts
I’ve had and towed with 1 short bed and four long bed Frontiers, the long bed is more planted and rides better overall.
Why don’t you want to keep using the Jeep? My Wrangler JK has the 3.6 in it and it’s a good engine, the 3:21 gears are a little sluggish and with 37 inch tires a little more so but a nice vehicle overall.

Clint

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the input Gents. Clint, my JK is an 08. Last year it had a MoTech GM LS 5.3L engine conversion with 6L80 transmission. Runs great and has plenty of power. My issue is when towing the TT it just does not have enough cooling on an uphill grade on a hot day. It already has a HD dual pass radiator and updated fan. My main reason for doing the conversion was to make it easier to pull my trailer. If it can't do that there is no reason to hang on to it. The Frontier is in the lead to replace it so I want to make sure it can handle the job.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,380 Posts
My ATF temperature gauge reads 150-180F not towing and up to 195-198F when towing a Forest River Wolf Pup 17RP toy hauler of about 4,000 lbs uphill on the highway (ambient temperatures of about 110F).
Ever look buying and installing a deeper and finned trans pan? I believe the deeper pan holds two more quarts in it.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
12,380 Posts
Yes I have thought about it. Can you make a recommendation on manufacturer(s)? Thanks.
Take a look at these, they can can also be machined to fit a temperature sensor too. The cost isn’t inexpensive but quality costs more and is cheap compared to getting stuck or shortening your transmissions life.
https://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11101.php

Clint

·
Registered
5 Posts
Towing Update

I figured I would add an update to my original question about how these trucks tow that will hopefully help some of you.

This past weekend I had to help a family member move from Chattanooga, TN down to Tampa, FL. I hauled an empty 24 foot enclosed car trailer (28' bumper to hitch)( I used a WDH without sway control and it had electric brakes) from Tampa to TN, about 600 miles one way. I would guess the trailer was probably about 3500-4000 pounds empty. From a pulling standpoint, my truck did great. Pulling and stopping were no problem. I didn't even feel much drag from the large face of the trailer and was able to keep about 11-12 mpg and it is normally at around 18 around town. Control, how ever, was a slightly different story. I would't say it was horrible, but I was a little on edge for most of the trip. When I was riding alone and the road was fairly smooth, she did fine. When other vehicles came flying by it did tend to get a little squirrely.

In my opinion based on this little trip, I would say to probably not go over a 21 foot TT (usually around 24' bumper to hitch). I was very close to getting a 24' TT that was about 29' overall and 5k lbs empty. I am glad I didn't. Like a few people had said, The truck would have pulled it, but I would have been nervous driving the whole time and that may have affected how I felt about camping.

For the type of RV I want, I will either end up upgrading the truck or going the motorhome rout. I will say that I was very impressed with the power of the truck, but she just doesn't have a big enough stance to handle the leverage trailers that long can produce.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I purchased a TT in June and have been happy with my Frontier. I have a WDH, electric brakes and Sway. I'm towing a Coachmen 192RBS. Its 22.5' from tip to tip, weighs 3850 empty.Hitch weight slightly less than 400lb. It tows nice, been in I95 DC nightmare traffic, got a little careless and was doing 70 without realizing it. I try to keep it at 60 max. I'm getting about 10-12mpg. Big trucks passing by are not too bad. I guess my only concern is the small gas tank.

Call me a Happy Camper so far

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
For those hauling a TT how is the visibility with the mirrors? If clamp-on mirrors are needed any recommendations?

Thanks!
1A Auto makes nice towing mirrors, about $260 a pr. I believe they're a sponsor here. They are extendable, power and available heated.

Good luck

By the way we hall a 30' TT, comes in at 4410# dry. I'm getting about 12-13 when towing it. I also a wdh with dual anti sway brakes. I also never go over 60 mph.

·
Registered
24 Posts
1A Auto makes nice towing mirrors, about $260 a pr. I believe they're a sponsor here. They are extendable, power and available heated.

Good luck

By the way we hall a 30' TT, comes in at 4410# dry. I'm getting about 12-13 when towing it. I also a wdh with dual anti sway brakes. I also never go over 60 mph.
[B]How hard are those mirrors to install? I have some old school mount on the fender mirrors and dont like them at all.[/B]

141 - 160 of 198 Posts