Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into purchasing a travel trailer with a dry weight of approx 4700lbs. I have a '15 Desert Runner with a max towing cap of 6300lbs. This scenario only gives me 1300lbs of useful load which I would imagine 1000lbs of that being used up by persons and gear. I live in Louisiana and really don't plan on leaving the flats of the Gulf Coast with it. The question is with proper hitching and air bags has anyone towed 6000lbs to 6300lbs with the Frontier? I'm just looking for feedback to make a wise decision at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a small travel trailer that I tow. It is more like 3,000 pounds but I have had no problems doing it. If you get a weight distribution hitch you probably will not need airbags. With proper trailer brakes and sway control you should be fine, especially on flat ground.

There is a video on you tube of a frontier pulling a load that heavy up a steep slope in Colorado and handling it pretty well. Look up "the fast lane truck" and frontier towing if you want to see it.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
I have a small travel trailer that I tow. It is more like 3,000 pounds but I have had no problems doing it. If you get a weight distribution hitch you probably will not need airbags. With proper trailer brakes and sway control you should be fine, especially on flat ground.
I was unaware that a weight distribution hitch could accomplish so much. Any corroboration out there?

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I was unaware that a weight distribution hitch could accomplish so much. Any corroboration out there?
a W-D hitch transfers more weight to the other axles (front truck & trailer axle). It also allows for less tail-whip. That said, it's not a magic bullet. There will be squat, especially with how soft the leaf-pack is. I would still plan on an augmentation (helper springs/airbags/replacement springpack)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys! I appreciate the input. I may have found a more suitable option weight wise with the options I want. I'm going to keep the airbags just in the event that I need them (not likely) and a WD hitch to stabilize. There is that chance I may still choose to go heavy and make my truck actually do some work.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

@ bump

What TT do you pull?

·
Registered
473 Posts
a W-D hitch transfers more weight to the other axles (front truck & trailer axle). It also allows for less tail-whip. That said, it's not a magic bullet. There will be squat, especially with how soft the leaf-pack is. I would still plan on an augmentation (helper springs/airbags/replacement springpack)
I can make my setup perfectly level with nothing but the WDH, I can't speak to other applications. I have always thought that a WDH could balance pretty much anything. I remember those old ads with the front drive Oldsmobile towing without any back wheels.

If you have too much tongue weight then it is not going to handle well even if you compensate with stiffer springs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ Hotrod garage

That's what I was hoping to see! I wanted to see someone else towing a sizeable travel trailer. My plan as of now is to go smaller, but if I choose bigger I feel better knowing there are others out there making the haul

·
Registered
473 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
If it was up to me I'd go with a Lil starcraft, but the wife has other ideas lol

Sonic SN220VBH Travel Trailer | Venture RV

Choice #2

I like this one better. When we camp we mostly just use the camper to sleep in. We are either doing something at the campground, doing something at the location or just sitting outside around the fire. That is why I like a small, easy to deal with, trailer. Gotta keep the wife happy though. I would probably have a popup if not for my wife insisting on a bathroom.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Even though we will be camping we are in the DEEP South and need a place to hang inside out of the heat and get comfortable during the hottest parts of the summer days. Small is good and practice for me and if left up to the wife I'd own a dually and haul a mobile home

·
Registered
473 Posts
Even though we will be camping we are in the DEEP South and need a place to hang inside out of the heat and get comfortable during the hottest parts of the summer days. Small is good and practice for me and if left up to the wife I'd own a dually and haul a mobile home

Having AC is nice especially at night when you try to sleep. If it is too hot to leave the camper during the day then I would just as soon stay home.......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trust me this is going to be an activity done mostly during the winter months, but I'm preparing for the event of summer travel to Florida

·
Registered
240 Posts
I regularly tow upward of my max, probably even exceeded the max a few times. And trust me, both of these trailers have been in excess of 6000lbs, I wouldn't be surprised if I got up to 7000lb+ one time.

Pulling power and handling have never been an issue for me, but a few tips:

-Tongue weight is the Frontier's worst enemy. I've front loaded before, and I was practically dragging the trailer jack.
-Get trailer brakes, even for light trailers. Our Frontiers just don't have the brakes or traction to stop an extra 6,000lbs on a regular basis.
-If you're getting close to your max tow, upgrade to a Class 4 Weight Distribution hitch. It will take a lot of weight off your back wheels and stabilize the load.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts