Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have spent the past two weeks searching this site and found some very mixed opinions regarding towing mid-sized travel trailers. I love camping and have a pop-up trailer that weights 2100 pounds however I would like to upgrade to a full hardside trailer. I am considering the Rvision Maxlite 24rs. It is 25' 6" long; it weighs 4600 pounds dry and has a tongue weight of 365 pounds. I would get a WD hitch with the sway bars, and I already have a brake controller to use.

I live in Utah and plan to take trips from Salt Lake City up to Yellowstone, Moab, and the Uinta Mountain range.

I know this isn't the best set up. I would like to hear from folks who have towed in the mountains since that is where I live and camp. I have an 05' CC 4X4 LE if that matters.

Travel trailers are really really cheap right now and that is what makes me want to buy a trailer first rather than a 1/2 truck. I would get a 1/2 at some point but it might not be for a couple of years as my 05' only has 50,0000 miles on it.

Anyone towing a comparable sized/weight trailer in the mountains? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
What you are listing falls well within the specs of what the frontier is capable of pulling.

Things to remember:

It's going to take longer to stop (even with a brake controller)
It's going to take longer to start (get up to speed -- don't pull out in front of others)
It's going to take more gas (get over it)
Turn off your OD on the transmission

Have fun camping!!

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
dry weight is not very usefull. how big are the holding tanks, cause water is heavy; how much stuff are you taking along, it adds up fast; don't forget the little things like food weight, blankets, pillows, etc. The GVWR is a much better weight to use, but I can't find that listed on their website. However at it's rated load capacity it would be over 7300#. We are rated to tow up to 6500#.

I've towed a car from tx to ca which weighed approx 4800# (car and trailer combined) and had no issues throught the mountains. So if you plan on taking that trailer empty and not packing anything to take along then I know it will work, but once loaded up with clothes, food, gear, etc for 2+ people.......you truck probably won't be too happy with you.

$0.02

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
with dry weight and water your looking at just a hair under 5klbs. LE CC are only rated to pull 6300lbs(2wd) or 6100lbs(4wd). KC's are 6500lbs(2wd) 6300lbs(4wd). so you have a 5000 lb camper with no gear and only water on board. you have a curb weight of give or take 4450lbs with the 5000lbs that leaves you with 1683lbs for you, the family and the rest of your gear. max combines weight is 11,133lbs.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I towed a travel trailer with my frontier over 3000 miles on a trip coast to coast. I had a 18ft hybrid Jayco Kiwi and it was fully loaded with gear for the month long trip. I don't recall the exact weight but it was around 2900 dry.

It towed fine.... In the mountains I babied it and kept the rpms down around 3000. It required me to go slower then most people on the roads but not slower then the big rigs and other travel trailers. My biggest issue was the wind, side wind was not an issue but driving into a head wind was like towing a brick.

I am personally looking for another travel trailer and have no plans on exceeding 21ft

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can baby the truck up any hill. I don't mind slowing way down. I will just pull into the slow lane and put on my flashers.

What I am concerned about is the length of the trailer, weight and wind resistance. When I pull my little 2,500 pound (completely loaded) pop-up trailer up an 8% grade, I can certainly feel it. But the truck goes up the grade with out any issue.

My pop-up is only 5 feet tall as opposed to a 10 foot tall hardside. My pop-up is 18 ft long as opposed to 24-26 ft long Hardside.

Anyone towed a trailer of this size up in some serious sized mountains? I saw a post here that had an xterra pulling a 5,000 pound trailer in CO. Is he the exception?

I would never fill my tanks until I got to camp. I would imagine that my loaded weight would be 5,000 pounds with gear and food for me and my family.

Anyone towing a trailer of this size at 10,000 feet for multiple days? Am I nuts to even consider it? Most dealers tell me "You can pull up to your max tow capacity..." Trailers are so cheap right now and I don't need a new truck so I would like to make this work if I am not putting my family at risk of a wreck.

Again, I am more concerned with the height and width of the trailer than I am with weight, as I don't plan to load more than 400 pounds into the trailer.

Anyone out in Utah pulling a rig this size?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I pull an 18' hardside travel trailer (about 3000 lbs fully loaded). The truck pulls it just fine, working pretty good on some of the steeper slopes but still running like a monster. My trailer felt very secure. My main concern for your much larger trailer would be the size overwhelming the control of the truck. If a trailer that size starts swaying it will be much harder to get it back won't it? I think a large part of towing a bigger trailer is the driver though. If you are reasonable and don't act like its Daytona and also you have the proper equipment you should be okay. My trailer is also a tandem axle which I've heard is easier to tow and easier to maintain control over. Obviously with a trailer the size you're getting it will be a tandem.

I don't run any special equipment on my trailer other than an electric brake controller but on a trailer like your looking at you should probably run a weight dist. hitch and don't they make anti sway bars that mount to the hitch somehow or am I off my rocker?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, my biggest concern is controlling the thing. I would certainly get a EQ hitch with anti sway bars. I tend to be conservative when towing and usually don't go over 70 with my pop-up, but mostly stay at 60-65 on the
flats. I have a cheap drawtight II brake controller, but would get a Prodigy or P3.

Anyone tow a rig like this in the rocky mountains?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
follow the weight limits of your truck. Don't think that because you've added sway bars and weight distribution you can fudge the numbers and tow more. I've had first hand experience with towing over the weight limit trailers. I had a 1982 GMC Jimmy full size tow a 18' ultra lite toybox with sway bars, and weight distribution... and it was at the 5000lb weight limit, if not a bit over 5000lbs. There was a lot of "tail wagging," and inability to stop in a timely manner. Needless to say i now have a 2500hd diesel, and a bigger 23' toybox, which tows like there's nothing behind it. I know getting a new truck isn't in the picture for a lot of us, but you might have to sacrafice the trailer size because of the truck. anyway Good luck! BTW: go with prodigy, and a dual cam sway bar by reese.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your thoughts folks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Depending on where you live around here, there is a scale you can use up in woods cross to weigh it all out. It will weigh each axle as you drive on and then the whole thing. The print out will tell you each weight. PM me if your interested and i'll give you directions on where its at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pulling travel trailer

I have a 20' Keystone Passport Ultralight travel trailer. The shipping weight is 3800 lbs and it has duel axles. The day I brought it home from the dealer there was a head wind on the PA Turnpike and it fealt like the trailer brakes were stuck on. I could not believe the wind resistence. On a calm day the CC pulls it like a dream on level highways but struggles a little on hills. I never fill tanks and try to travel as light as possible. I have the weight distribution and anti sway bar setup with trailer brakes. The real test for me will be the last week of August when I pull it up to the Adirondack mountains in NY. I think my setup is the heaviest that I would go before worrying about some damage to the drive train.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a 20' Keystone Passport Ultralight travel trailer. The shipping weight is 3800 lbs and it has duel axles. The day I brought it home from the dealer there was a head wind on the PA Turnpike and it fealt like the trailer brakes were stuck on. I could not believe the wind resistence. On a calm day the CC pulls it like a dream on level highways but struggles a little on hills. I never fill tanks and try to travel as light as possible. I have the weight distribution and anti sway bar setup with trailer brakes. The real test for me will be the last week of August when I pull it up to the Adirondack mountains in NY. I think my setup is the heaviest that I would go before worrying about some damage to the drive train.
Where you headed? I live in the Adirondack Park and we camp just north of Speculator.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Interesting thread on the sister forum here that I came across.
Camping trailer towing - Nissan Forums

I've had to re-think (based on this thread and the above one) what we will be upgrading our pop-up to. Amazing how quickly the weight of add-ons, water & gear can pile up. For me, probably a major issue is going to be tongue weight. I've looked at some 23'ish units that seems to be OK weight wise, but have tongue weights close to 500lbs dry. I think this is simply too much as it will put us very close to GVWR without very much in the truck. Maybe if my wife and I (mostly I) went on a diet and lost about 100lbs ;)

Thanks all for the info.

One other question for folks. Does length of the trailer have much of an impact on "towability"? All else being equal (dry weight, hitch weight) would I notice any difference pulling say a 22' unit versus a 26' unit? The rear slide models seem to add some advantage that way, but typically are no lighter than units a few feet longer.

For example comparing these 2 that I just dug up the specs on:

KZ Coyote Lite CL230
weight, dry 3705, hitch 389
length 27'

versus
KZ Spree 210KS
weight, dry 3821, hitch 460
length 23'4"

Both are at the top end of what I would want to attempt to haul from a towing weight perspective, and the hitch weight would bring me near GVWR on the vehicle for most trips.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts