Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let my ego get the better of me the other day and blew up the rear end in my frontier. An infinity fx 35 thought it had raced me and won when I had never attemped to race him. I was driving along normally and he came up beside me and took off. I didn't think much of it, but I layed into the throttle for a second and noticed the gap between us shrinking quickly. I then let off and said it wasn't worth my gas, to myself. Then he threw on his flashers like he had just smoked me.... GRRR he was turning and I wasn't at the next light, as I rolled by him I could see him jeasturing through the tinted windows. That is about the time the ego kicked in. I then backed up and rolled down my window. He was smiling and gloating. I proceded to tell him that I hadn't even attempted to race him but he was shouting some kind of smack that I couldn't hear over the semi beside me. Then I reved her to the moon and dumped the clutch and Bang! Pow! Boom! clank clank clank, as my driveshaft rattled on the pavement. Ugh! face palm. I pushed the truck out of the road with the help of a passer by and looked under to inspect the damage. I had sheared my pinion. Damn... expensive but not devistating. Ordered parts, got parts. towed to shop, opened diff cover to find much more carnage..... Spider gears exploded, the pin that they ride on was broken in half. So where the problem lies is with the adjusters. when the spider gears exploded the carrier expanded and shoved the adjuster into the axle tube. I was wondering if anyone has expirienced this and if they had if the axle housing is shot and I need to start over from scratch?

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
ive replaced a few blown carriers now. without seeing and to spec everything out there is no way to say for sure.

if you do enjoy that style of driving, i would suggest picking up a trutrac torsion carrier for the m226. i installed one a couple years ago and i beat to poop out of the truck (within reason, i also maintain it like crazy) and the truck just loves it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The TT is my plan now. My buddy is attempting to get the adjuster out of the axle now. I wish I was there but I had other things to take care of. The aduster was knocked crooked in the threads. I should have taken pics while I was there but I rushed out on a parts hunt

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
well i havent seen one that bad, but if the adjuster or the housing for it is messed up you may need to replace the housing. im not sure how easy it would be to repair that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been hunting for a housing but no luck so far.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you 4wd? M226 cause you are a clutcher. Any specific gearing you are looking for?

I'm 2wd. I already have ring and pinion gears. Origionally I just thought that the pinion gear just sheared and that was it. So I bought everything to rebuild the rearend. I didn't plan on the carrier and everything else to be trashed inside. Im having a hard time finding an affordable rear end housing. My mechanic doesn't like the idea of reusing the possibly damaged one and I agree. If that adjuster doesn't sit straight, the carrier bearing won't be true to the carrier.. then bad things happen to my soon to be purchased Truetrac

·
Super Moderator
10,440 Posts
You're driving a Nissan pickup, not a race car by any means, why beat the snot out of it uneccesarily? How many miles on the truck/clutch? I sure miss my 6 speed Frontier. Heck I took my Challenger out on Monday for a cruise on the holiday and never went over 70 and nobody can goad me into racing on a public road, not worth it. Well at least you weren't racing in Waldo or you'd be here asking for bail money. Every time I go through there to get to the University of Florida, I make good and sure I'm doing the speed limit.
Good luck on your repair.

Clint

·
Registered
96 Posts
Gears

I'm 2wd. I already have ring and pinion gears. Origionally I just thought that the pinion gear just sheared and that was it. So I bought everything to rebuild the rearend. I didn't plan on the carrier and everything else to be trashed inside. Im having a hard time finding an affordable rear end housing. My mechanic doesn't like the idea of reusing the possibly damaged one and I agree. If that adjuster doesn't sit straight, the carrier bearing won't be true to the carrier.. then bad things happen to my soon to be purchased Truetrac

What gears did you go with this time? the 3.13's or bigger?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You're driving a Nissan pickup, not a race car by any means, why beat the snot out of it uneccesarily? How many miles on the truck/clutch? I sure miss my 6 speed Frontier. Heck I took my Challenger out on Monday for a cruise on the holiday and never went over 70 and nobody can goad me into racing on a public road, not worth it. Well at least you weren't racing in Waldo or you'd be here asking for bail money. Every time I go through there to get to the University of Florida, I make good and sure I'm doing the speed limit.

Clint
The truck has 270K and the clutch probably 5-10K. A frontier is by no means a race car but it is quick for what it is and with the mods I have on it, it is quite fun to drive on the street. We all have our driving preferences. Do I do dumb stuff that I shouldn't from time to time... Yes, and I'll leave it at that. Waldo actually has been shut down. There is no longer a Waldo police department. Alachua county still enforces the speed but not in the ridiculous money grubing way the local PD did.

Clint
What gears did you go with this time? the 3.13's or bigger?
I'm going with 3.54's

·
Super Moderator
10,440 Posts
Now you tell me, I was just through there three weeks ago. Why don't they make a common speed limit, the up and down drives me nuts.
Hope the truck is fixed soon.
I left my trailer in a Waldo self storage garage.

Clint

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I rarely travel that way. I hate 301. All those little towns have really low speed limits and it is retarded that the speed limit goes up and down in waldo. I guess they leave it because that flee market gets a lot of weekend traffic.
I hope so too. This hurricane isn't speeding anything up and the guy that was going to put it together for me is in heart surgery today. He won't be back to work for a while. Fortunately my buddy loaned me his mustang to drive while I wait but it isn't going to do me any good if the streets are flooded after the storm. I would much rather have my truck for that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
do you have a lift? I am thinking about 3.92's. Hows it coming

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes it is lifted. My mods are in my signature but It has Fox 2.0 coilovers in the front (adjusted as low as they go) and Hd leaf springs in the rear with blistine 5160's. So I'm only lifted about 1.5-2" total. I didn't want to lift it any higher, just enough to fit the wheels and tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts