Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be taking a road trip in a few months and I'm taking my 4 rods with me. I usually just chuck em in the bed, but I'd like to keep the cover closed in case it rains on the way. I was contemplating buying a roof rack and strapping them on, but that's going to end up costing me close to $250 after everything is said and done. Then I ran across this while searching for ideas:

Anyone ever used a set up similar to that before? My main concerns are road debris damaging the rods and I'm unsure how well the rods will handle 2+ hours at interstate speeds

Attachments

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Anyone ever used a set up similar to that before? My main concerns are road debris damaging the rods and I'm unsure how well the rods will handle 2+ hours at interstate speeds
That's a pretty cool setup. I think if you put some foam inserts in the tubes with the rods they wouldn't rattle around at all and it would be fine at highway speed. You could even strap a bunjee across the reels to keep the secure. I had mine attached to the utilitrack for a while (similar to pic below) and that worked out great but that doesn't help you out at all if you want to keep the lid closed. I can't think of another economical way of doing it without drilling holes in the cover or buying the rack bars that can attach on top of the cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea that's a super convenient set up. What brand are those rod holders? Might end up buying them vs making them out of PVC

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wow, just found this:

The G2 Fishing Buddy One Shot Outfitters Rod Holder, 4 Rods

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Can't you just break down the rods and store them in the bed. I would be afraid you'd lose those things are hwy speeds.

A guy in my neighborhood drives around with his rods in one of these. But I do not think his is suction cupped.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I agree, break them down

That is what I am gonna go to mine for my trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
34 Posts
In North Carolina you see a lot of similar fishing rod setups such as the one pictured. Some have the rod holder mounted in their boats, some are in the front of the truck bed. Have fun.

Reactions: Contra

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have something like that to haul my surf fishing rods. I have driven seven hours of mostly interstate with them back there several times and never had an issue. I think you will be fine. Surf rods weigh more than freshwater rods so you might run a bungee over them but other than I think it would be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Can't you just break down the rods and store them in the bed.
That's what I do. That or I put them in the bed last on top of everything else diagonally, they just fit under the cover.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have something similar to this. My cooler, tackle box and whatever else goes in the basket and the rods go in the side racks. I have a piece of foam over the top back rail so I can rest the tailgate on it without scratching it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Came across these options several years ago when I was looking at transporting rods as well. I had started to fab up a rod holder using the Utili trac but found it easier to throw them in the cab. My 7'2" rods are angled on the front passenger floor to the rear driver's side using this carrier. Works great for short trips.

DIY Fishing Rod Holder and Pole Rack for Truck

Fishing Rod Racks

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wouldnt trust the plastic ones on the truck bumper........ you can usually find some decent priced metal ones on ebay

but I usually keep them in the back and strapped to my kayak. I just fish one piece rods unless I'm using long surf rods (9' +)

EDIT: I just saw those tuna slayer ones posted above. pretty badass, albeit pricy

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I was wondering is it ok to have the poles sticking strait up while driving 70+ down the highway? What I mean is does it hurt them?

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Well no one answered my question I posted it in a couple of different form so I decided to go ahead and make a mount or I thought it might be safer for transport this is my build

It is not high-quality but it will do for the season

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the suggestions!

Ended up buying a Whispbar HD rack. ReRack has them on clearance since they're being discontinued so the total came out to $204 after shipping. Going to fab something up with Unistrut conduit clamps and 2" conduit. Overkill and spent way more than I wanted to, but at least now I have a roof rack and I don't have to worry about the rods hitting trees or anything.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I realize I never updated this post with pics of my setup...

As mentioned, I used 2" PVC spray painted silver (old engine paint I had laying around) and attached them to the bars via conduit clamps.

The setup is rock solid. Held up just fine during the 2+ hr trip (each way) at highway speeds. Glad I went with a roof rack as my bed was packed with crap. I even had to load stuff on TOP of the bed cover. Almost bought one of those hitch mounted cargo carriers.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Looks good - had thought about going that route with the rod holders on the roof but had opted for a ski/snowboard rack as a minor theft deterrent (still have to lock your reels with a cable). Never used it and wound up selling.

Glad it's working out.

INNO Gravity Ski & Snowboard Rack

1 - 18 of 18 Posts