Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an 03 crew cab last weekend and so far I love it. It only came with one factory key. So I looked in the manual and it said nothing about the key being a transponder key. I went to have it copied and they tested it to see if it was a transponder key and it is not. The book they had said it should be that it was not optional. So I had one key made for $3 and it works fine. The lady who made it told me it could ruin my electrical system if it is suppose to be a transponder key and I am not using one.

This does not make sense to me. My previous accord took a transponder key and I had a regular key made to keep in my wallet and it would not even let me start the car with it.

So I assume their book was wrong but I just wanted to clarify because I do not want to damage the truck.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
If your $3 key works, you are fine. If your vehicle required a transponer key it would either not start or it would start and within a few seconds the engine would die. You will not hurt anything.

·
Super Moderator
19,970 Posts
I doubt if it would start at all. The transponder has to send a signal to allow the engine to start. They must be thinking about other brands of vehicles that allow a non transponder key to start the engine and then shut off. Some people end up having it towed to the shop after that happens. A friend of mine had that happen with a Jeep Cherokee.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I have an 03 too and the first thing i thought was that a DIY key would not work. Well the key did and I have not had an issue. I have no idea why that is in the manual.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. I figured a cheap key would work fine. I wanted to make sure before I got a few more copies made.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts