Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I recently bought a 2000 frontier 4x4 with a bad transmission has anyone tried to rebuild their own transmission instead of pricey shops any advice on manuals or videos to watch. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
We have had quite a few posters seeking advice on overhauling engines and transmissions. Unless you have done it before and have the tools, learning how to do it in the dead of winter is not a good idea. The reman trannies are attractive but will come at a cost. With labor it can cost $4k. Is this too much to invest in a 20 year old truck?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hello all I recently bought a 2000 frontier 4x4 with a bad transmission has anyone tried to rebuild their own transmission instead of pricey shops any advice on manuals or videos to watch. Thanks
Were Are You Located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not a mechanic but know my way around tools and have a small machine shop at hand. Not scared to try if I have good information to start with. Im in florida panhandle

·
Registered
900 Posts
Quick Search on Car-Part.Com for 4x4 Transmission. All within 200 Miles of Tallahassee for around $600 or so. Relatively Low mileage, one only has 93k on it for $650
WIth Some of THese Junkyards THe Trans is already Pulled and On A Rack For You To Come Pick Up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick Search on Car-Part.Com for 4x4 Transmission. All within 200 Miles of Tallahassee for around $600 or so. Relatively Low mileage, one only has 93k on it for $650
WIth Some of THese Junkyards THe Trans is already Pulled and On A Rack For You To Come Pick Up.

View attachment 326166
Thanks for the good information I haven't worked on truck like this in long time and didn't know where to look

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's wrong with the existing transmission?
Im not really sure I just got the truck and Guy I bought it from said it was shot I jumped it off and motor runs great but I didn't try putting it in gear yet so im not sure what it's doing

·
Premium Member
2010 Nissan Frontier SE 175,000 miles.
112 Posts

Transmissions are very complex. Most will require a good investment of a least $1000 in tools to disassemble/reassemble. That's just what I have experience in the few transmissions I have helped my uncles rebuild (mostly racing trans).

I would think that after you get the truck running and actually drive it a bit. A total flush and fill will do wonders for it. Maybe at the very least it only needs a valve body.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Their not to difficult, but you need to know the difference between good parts and worn parts, several youtube's show step by step rebuild on re5or5a tranny's.

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
243 Posts
Their not to difficult, but you need to know the difference between good parts and worn parts, several youtube's show step by step rebuild on re5or5a tranny's.
Yea, typically shiny parts, or parts with linear waves/striations are not a good thing to see. That shine is likely due to excessive rubbing, and the lines/waves due to excessive heat and means they are worn. It can help to have replacement parts on hand to see/compare the "differences" And just because something looks fine/undamaged, does not necessarily mean it is. For instance I've seen tooling on drill rigs that will appear to be perfectly circular/round, but have actually been warped along the rotational axis due to binding.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I do not think a 20 yo truck can last another 20 years. Something will fail.
Tell that to my Dad's 1981 Toyota Pickup that he rarely does any maintenance on. Looks like sh*t, but still runs.

Reactions: arjadian
1 - 20 of 20 Posts