Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the only gauge I don't have. I'll be towing a bit this summer and am interested in knowing what the tranny temps are doing.

Is there a phone app that will read the transmission temp off the OEM system, or does installing a gauge likewise require the installation of a specific sensor somewhere in the lines?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Wheel thanks. I am not finding an app by that name at the app store (iOS) so I'm assuming that is a device. I'll go from there on the search.

Reactions: Wheel

·
Registered
295 Posts
@Wheel thanks. I am not finding an app by that name at the app store (iOS) so I'm assuming that is a device. I'll go from there on the search.
Yeah it’s a device that plugs into the OBD port. It can show four user-selectable data points on screen simultaneously. Mine is set up to read coolant temp, transmission pan temp, trans line temp, and something else I forgot at the moment.

I know there are other devices that plug into OBD and link with phone using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, but I have not tried them.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
What I did in July, 2018. I prefer to have real guages with needles, and the engine coolant temp guage supplied by Nissan isn't a real guage, it's an idiot "light" with a needle.

Autometer Water Temp Gauge 105-4437
Gauge Sender Adapter - fit upper rad hose perfectly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=clubfrontierconvert-20

Autometer Transmission Temp Gauge 105-4457
Transmission Test Plug Adapter 1/8" NPT X M10 105-2265
Short Sender - std length supplied with gauge will not fit 105-2259
2-5/8" Diametre mounting cups 555-41256

I chose the 2-5/8" series cause they are bigger and easier to read for old eyes like me LOL ( I'm 56 ). I have a Pro4 so the Autometer part numbers are for the white face orange pointer gauges that match very well with the Pro's OEM white face gauge package. 2-1/8" gauges are available, as are black or carbon fibre face and then of course some prefer digital. Autometer senders will work with any of the same compatible series of gauges so the sender numbers I provided are applicable to a range of selected gauges to meet what your appearance desires are. NOTE that the Autometer gauges with an extra-wide pointer travel ( full sweep ) are NOT compatible with these senders.

Also note, like I did, you may want to install WeatherPack-type or positive-latch inline connectors on the gauge set so they can be easily removed for servicing or adjusting if needed. I didn't get any photos of the in-lines I used.

Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's the only gauge I don't have. I'll be towing a bit this summer and am interested in knowing what the tranny temps are doing.

Is there a phone app that will read the transmission temp off the OEM system, or does installing a gauge likewise require the installation of a specific sensor somewhere in the lines?

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Veepeak OBD2 Diagnostic Tool/Dongle + OBD Fusion App (Apple or Android)

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the feedback.

@RyanD1966 I like those. I'll go back to your thread and make notes on the part numbers. Physical gauges might end up the way I get the info.

@Mackinac I have the VeePeak dongle and OBD Fusion, but I've not been able to get transmission temp to feed to a guage on one of the dashboards.

Can you point me to which sensor or PID to choose for accessing that data?

·
Registered
240 Posts
My Bad!
I thought it was an option with ODB Fusion. I just had the Veepeak plugged into my Frontier and hooked up to the app and was unable to accomplish what I had suggested in my first post. I tried every option and screen in that app and could not come up with transmission temp.
SORRY!

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
10.4. No apology needed. I was hopeful that I had overlooked it, but no problem.

I’ll likely end up with a set of physical gauges to get the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
342 Posts
That’s interesting, but does it come in ‘Murican? We don’t use those funny degrees like you folks up yonder.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That’s interesting, but does it come in ‘Murican? We don’t use those funny degrees like you folks up yonder.
haha IDK I am comfortable with both metric and imperial. For the purpose here thou all your interested in is that the temp don't get too high. Since 212 F is the boiling point of water in imperial and 100 C is the metric equivalent think of it as percent. if you see the temp approach 100% you know your getting the fluid too hot.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Acouto Motorcycle Digital Thermometer Instrument Water Temperature Meter Gauge Ultru Thin Universal LED Motorcycle Digital Coolant Temperature Gauge Kit DC 12V Blue Light : Amazon.ca: Automotive

motorcycle temperature gauge kit in trans cooler line to radiator with brass tee 25 bucks . Discrete display velcro to dash panel near left side of
steering column to the right of the cargo light switch and can readily be seen by driver but does not ruin look of dash and stand out like a sore thumb
Yeah I dig the small digital display. Someone should make one of these with a capacitive OLED, touch to switch gauge display. Like scangauge but small, thin remote display.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I really like my ScanGauge II, seems pretty reliable. It's inexpensive and easy to use plus you can check for any stored codes or recent ones. It's small enough to fit right above your cubby hole in console and be out of the way. Check 'em out!

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
342 Posts
I really like my ScanGauge II, seems pretty reliable. It's inexpensive and easy to use plus you can check for any stored codes or recent ones. It's small enough to fit right above your cubby hole in console and be out of the way. Check 'em out!
I’d love a ScanGauge, but since they either can’t or won’t bother to figure out how to read trans temps on the new 9 spd, they really don’t want my business.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Yeah I dig the small digital display. Someone should make one of these with a capacitive OLED, touch to switch gauge display. Like scangauge but small, thin remote display.

I think that's called an Edge CTS3. Although may not be strictly relevant to this discussion because requires an adapter and external harness to read trans temps or anything that doesn't have an OBDII code or OEM transducer. A $49.82 add-on for temp sensing.
My CS Gen I has been through three vehicles now and is still going strong. I have the cheaper model, so no touchscreen. The CTS series is all touch.

Reactions: Wheel

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think that's called an Edge CTS3. Although may not be strictly relevant to this discussion because requires an adapter and external harness to read trans temps or anything that doesn't have an OBDII code or OEM transducer. A $49.82 add-on for temp sensing.
My CS Gen I has been through three vehicles now and is still going strong. I have the cheaper model, so no touchscreen. The CTS series is all touch.
I was thinking something in the small form factor of the digital gauge from Canada.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate the various feedback and discussion of alternative options. The OBD fusion app shows a choice for transmission temperature. What I fail to understand is why I don't get a reading (using the VeePeak adapter and the app) when I select it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts