Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to know what size three-way compression fitting to get in order to put it in line with the transmission line...

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,788 Posts
The guy at this link used a 3/8" tee and 3/8" barbed fittings.

I used a step bit / unibit to drill into my tranny pan and brazed in a weld on bung.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
This is another completely reversible no-drilling, no-cutting option. Factory Jatco A/T pressure test port, right side of transmission case.
This post also includes water temp info if you're curious to know what your real true engine temp is, not some "idiot needle" w/ three operating positions. GM used to be famous for doing this crap but I thought that went away in the late 90s. Apparently not.

Autometer Water Temp Gauge 105-4437
Gauge Sender Adapter - fit upper rad hose perfectly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=clubfrontierconvert-20

Autometer Transmission Temp Gauge 105-4457
Transmission Test Plug Adapter 1/8" NPT X M10 105-2265
Short Sender - std length supplied with gauge will not fit 105-2259
2-5/8" Diametre mounting cups 555-41256

I chose the 2-5/8" series cause they are bigger and easier to read for old eyes like me LOL ( I'm 52, LOL, that was in 2018, now I'm 54 ). I have a Pro4 so the Autometer part numbers are for the white face orange pointer gauges that match very well with the Pro's OEM white face gauge package. 2-1/8" gauges are available, as are black or carbon fibre face and then of course some prefer digital. Autometer senders will work with any of the same compatible series of gauges so the sender numbers I provided are applicable to a range of selected gauges to meet what your appearance desires are. NOTE that the Autometer gauges with an extra-wide pointer travel ( full sweep ) are NOT compatible with these senders.

Also note, like I did, you may want to install WeatherPack-type or positive-latch inline connectors on the gauge set so they can be easily removed for servicing or adjusting if needed. I didn't get any photos of the in-lines I used.

Not exactly relevant but definitely related, the 10" 610CFM fan I mounted on the outboard transmission cooler in the nose, is part# 555-52100 and runs $50.39 from Jegs.

So purchased the AutoMeter short sender and adapter that everyone else mentioned, plus the AutoMeter analog trans temp gauge and installed the sensor yesterday morning. Drove the truck up the asphault curb at my apartment to get a little more clearance under the side-steps to slide under the rig ( nose angled up ) . No problem. Removed the test tap on the side of the trans, absolutely ZERO fluid came out, O-ring was a little wet with trans fluid, perfect, don't ever install them completely dry, transferred O-ring to new adapter, added some teflon tape to the sender, tightened the sender then installed the whole assembly hand-tight then went about 90 to 110 degrees past, with an open-end wrench. Zero leaks, zero issues. Temp's holding about 150 - 155F in 3rd gear around town and just under 150F on Northern Parkway outside Baltimore, with ambient at 79 to 82F, bed unloaded ( no towing or hauling, just the truck weight and two occupants ). 90+F local running did get to 180F once, highway dropped back to lower than 160F at highway speed. Takes 10 to 15 minutes to reach operating temps, so I think that means that cooling is certainly at least up to the task and has capacity to spare. Good news. Real water temp gauge now mounted as well, just waiting on in-line aluminium radiator hose tube adapter to arrive so sender can be mounted and wired. Found out the factory gauge is basically an idiot needle with Cold - Running Temp - Overheat reading positions, thx for nothing I prefer to know if my engine is going full-on China Syndrome.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sooooo....can anyone tell me where the adapter and temperature sensor go into on the transmission? Seems like there's a lot of bolts around there... doing a Google Search and forums search there are no pictures of where the pressure sensor Port is...

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Well, @RyanD1966 has a 2nd Gen and the tranny is different than a 1st Gen. But here's a pic from the FSM to help you decide on a port to use.
Screenshot_2020-07-28-01-14-20-1.png

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
And here's a pic of 2nd Gen tranny pressure test port.
Screenshot_2020-10-19-10-17-02-1.png

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
There's a reason I chose to install my sensor in the pan.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you for the diagrams...Im not sure where to put it...but, I have the stubby sensor and the adapter that folks said was the way to go on this..one guy even had Amazon links....but when I got them and tried to screw in the sender, it bottomed out after about four threads... closer inspection shows that the adapter has a taper female and and the sensor is just irregular non taper...so now I'll just send them back and do the 3-way pressure fitting.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Thank you for the diagrams...Im not sure where to put it...but, I have the Debbie sensor and the adapter that folks said was the way to go on this..one guy even had Amazon links....but when I got them and tried to screw in the sender, it bottomed out after about four threads... closer inspection shows that the adapter has a taper female and and the sensor is just irregular non taper...so now I'll just send them back and do the 3-way pressure fitting.
My apologies. Here are the correct pics with the test ports.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's all good...this makes more sense...thank you very much.
Still the auto meter pt# 2259 does not fit into pt# 2265.
So even though I potentially could install my gauge tomorrow... alas, I'll have to order different parts and go different route... unless somebody knows what adapter fits the first gen transmission and will receive the part number 2259 stubby sensor

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
It's all good...this makes more sense...thank you very much.
Still the auto meter pt# 2259 does not fit into pt# 2265.
So even though I potentially could install my gauge tomorrow... alas, I'll have to order different parts and go different route... unless somebody knows what adapter fits the first gen transmission and will receive the part number 2259 stubby sensor
Sometimes you just have to do the "legwork" and take the measurements to find what's needed on your own.

You can pull the port plug, measure with a thread pitch gauge and search for the adapter that you would need.

You can have this for free if you wanna cover shipping. It's never been installed.

I was going to go with the brass tee and barbed fittings but chose the sensor in pan with weld on bung instead so I have no use for it at all at all.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks...i may take you up on that...
The 3 way I was looking at, was the compression fittings one. It would T up off the metal transmission line...but I don't think I would be opposed to doing it Downstream a little... can't imagine the temp would change that much within 3 feet.

Just talked to the autometer company... they said that indeed to only expect 3 or 4 threads to go in to the adapter... I'm a little on the fence about that... I mean, you got a good 15 or 20 rotations to bottom out in that adapter...and only 4 threads in it's all good? Apparently because the adapter is a taper fitting, it offers great compression fit to avoid leaks in fact, they said that you don't even need any kind of Teflon tape and whatnot.. 🤔

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Thanks...i may take you up on that...
The 3 way I was looking at, was the compression fittings one. It would T up off the metal transmission line...but I don't think I would be opposed to doing it Downstream a little... can't imagine the temp would change that much within 3 feet.

Just talked to the autometer company... they said that indeed to only expect 3 or 4 threads to go in to the adapter... I'm a little on the fence about that... I mean, you got a good 15 or 20 rotations to bottom out in that adapter...and only 4 threads in it's all good? Apparently because the adapter is a taper fitting, it offers great compression fit to avoid leaks in fact, they said that you don't even need any kind of Teflon tape and whatnot.. 🤔
I teflon'd mine just for peace of mind, haven't had a peep from the fitting set since installation. Zero leakage. I used the pressure port method BTW ( 2014 Jatco 5 speed ), not the inline T-fitting.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I teflon'd mine just for peace of mind, haven't had a peep from the fitting set since installation. Zero leakage. I used the pressure port method BTW ( 2014 Jatco 5 speed ), not the inline T-fitting.
So which pressure port would you recommend?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I used Permatex® High Performance Thread Sealant

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The 3 way I was looking at, was the compression fittings one. It would T up off the metal transmission line
I had contemplated doing that as well but decided that if I should happen to F something off...I'd rather it be the pan.
The metal cooler tubes are discontinued BTW.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
So which pressure port would you recommend?
IMHO I'd go with the D / 2 / 1 port as fluid would be moving through that area in all forward gears. Overheating in Reverse would be highly odd indeed. I'm not sure if anyone on the forum has tried this port yet so one big caveat I'd mention would be to be 101% sure that nothing behind that port is spinning, theoretically if you inserted a probe that is deeper than the factory test fitting for the Jatco pressure gauge assy, and something back there is spinning, that could end very poorly as soon as the truck went into any forward gear position.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Going by the diagram...the drive pressure test port is on the rear passenger side...there it a heat shield that I removed to expose a bolt that looks like the area of the diagram... however there's no earthly way of putting in a adapter and a pressure sensor....uuuuugh!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Going by the diagram...the drive pressure test port is on the rear passenger side...there it a heat shield that I removed to expose a bolt that looks like the area of the diagram... however there's no earthly way of putting in a adapter and a pressure sensor....uuuuugh!
The door jamb sticker has the transmission type on it.
Pressure sensor?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts