Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 06 Frontier Crew Cab 4.0L Automatic Nismo edition and 24 hours later, I started having this weird intermittent transmission problem.
At least 4 times now, when coming to a slow stop, the transmission shuttered for about a second, the service engine light came on, then it seemed like it went into some sort of safe mode, where it would only crawl about 4-5 mph, no matter how high I revved the engine.
It felt like when a transmission slips or like starting out in a high gear.
It doesn't seem like a mechanical transmission slip though because if I stop, shut the truck off, then start it back up, it immediately goes back to normal every time. (except the engine light stays on).
I've tried shifting it to other gears or reverse, and other things, but the only thing that fixes it is shutting the truck off, then starting it back up - works 100% of the time.
The code I get is P1764.
It's only happened 4 times out of about 25 times driving it, never with any rhyme or reason.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
https://www.autocodes.com/p1764_nissan.html

As noted in the link, check the easy stuff first. Transmission fluid level, fluid condition, electrical connections.

Vic
I just bought my 06 Frontier Crew Cab 4.0L Automatic Nismo edition and 24 hours later, I started having this weird intermittent transmission problem.
At least 4 times now, when coming to a slow stop, the transmission shuttered for about a second, the service engine light came on, then it seemed like it went into some sort of safe mode, where it would only crawl about 4-5 mph, no matter how high I revved the engine.
It felt like when a transmission slips or like starting out in a high gear.
It doesn't seem like a mechanical transmission slip though because if I stop, shut the truck off, then start it back up, it immediately goes back to normal every time. (except the engine light stays on).
I've tried shifting it to other gears or reverse, and other things, but the only thing that fixes it is shutting the truck off, then starting it back up - works 100% of the time.
The code I get is P1764.
It's only happened 4 times out of about 25 times driving it, never with any rhyme or reason.
Any ideas?

My truck did this, rebuilt the whole tranny and still did it! Finally figured out the evap control valve had failed and the gas tank would build up pressure and cause this after a stop. Would happen to me on my driveway as it is a slight hill. When you fill your gas tank if the gas shoots out this could be the issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts