Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Their both good brands, might even be an OEM radiator supplier for multiple jap companies.The 630 dollar quote had nothing to do with quality, its still an 85 dollar radiator with the price jacked up for profit margins. Try to never buy dealer parts if there alternative's.Nissan does not make any radiator's, they buy them from suppliers.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Just called the Nissan dealership about this warranty extension and it ended in 2015 so we're SOL as far as that is concerned:(

Strawberry Milkshake of Death was all I needed, thanks. Now what about bypassing the radiator by adding a long/slim style aftermarket trans cooler? Will it run too cold this way?. A new OEM radiator costs $630 from the dealership. I'd be interested in a aftermarket one if I knew it was quality. Problem is they are so hit or miss.

edit: doing more research on aftermarket radiators... Anyone have experience with Koyo or Denso? I've used Koyo in the past and hever had an issue so may go with that for $136 shipped. Was also looking at full aluminum 2 row radiators for about $180 shipped.:unsure:
Koyo is a good brand; I've had one in my 08 Pathy for about 6-years. Denso is usually a good brand, but a friend of mine purchased one for a Titan years ago and it had a crack in the bottom tank; I suspect it happened in shipping and wasn't necessarily a manufacturer fault. I've yet to hear of anybody having issues with the aftermarket radiators, with the exception of the CSF all-aluminum rads. Spectra Premium is very popular and isn't expensive. They are a Canadian company and it has a 2-year warranty, but the radiator is made in China, as most are these days. Rockauto carries them.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Their both good brands, might even be an OEM radiator supplier for multiple jap companies.The 630 dollar quote had nothing to do with quality, its still an 85 dollar radiator with the price jacked up for profit margins. Try to never buy dealer parts if there alternative's.Nissan does not make any radiator's, they buy them from suppliers.
Actually, in a way, Nissan does make their own radiators. Nissan bought out Calsonic in 2004 or 2005, which supplies Nissan's radiators. Prior to that, they were a partial owner of the company. Calsonic also makes a number of other parts for Nissan, including exhaust systems, A/C parts and interior parts. Ironically, it was when Nissan bought the company out is when they started having radiator failures!

·
Registered
2005 Nismo Frontier
27 Posts
Just picked up a fresh Koyo A2807 locally from 1800-radiators (which is an authorized dealer) for $130ish out the door. Not bad and was able to inspect for damage before purchasing. Need to stop by the dealer to pick up hoses, a thermostat and probably some new transmission fluid.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
The OE radiator hoses are made by Gates; you can pick them up from Rockauto or any auto parts store for a less than what you'll pay at the dealer. Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF works great in the RE5R05A transmission and you can get it for $17/gallon jug at Walmart, as opposed to $7-$10/quart for NissanMatic Type "S" ATF. The thermostat, however, I would get from Nissan, along with the gasket (it doesn't come with it). I also got the foam seals for the radiator from Nissan and new seals for the radiator side brackets, but it's not a "must do." I use Pentosin for the coolant, which makes the Nissan coolant (Pentafrost A2 green for up to 2010and Pentafrost A3 blue for 2010+ Nissans); Autozone often carries it, as does some other part stores and Rockauto. Blue comes pre-mixed and green is concentrated.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Actually, in a way, Nissan does make their own radiators. Nissan bought out Calsonic in 2004 or 2005, which supplies Nissan's radiators. Prior to that, they were a partial owner of the company. Calsonic also makes a number of other parts for Nissan, including exhaust systems, A/C parts and interior parts. Ironically, it was when Nissan bought the company out is when they started having radiator failures!
I need to update this. It turns out Calsonic-Kansei merged in 2018 with Magneti Marelli from Fiat and are now known simply as MARELLI as of 2019.

·
Registered
2005 Nismo Frontier
27 Posts
The OE radiator hoses are made by Gates; you can pick them up from Rockauto or any auto parts store for a less than what you'll pay at the dealer. Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF works great in the RE5R05A transmission and you can get it for $17/gallon jug at Walmart, as opposed to $7-$10/quart for NissanMatic Type "S" ATF. The thermostat, however, I would get from Nissan, along with the gasket (it doesn't come with it). I also got the foam seals for the radiator from Nissan and new seals for the radiator side brackets, but it's not a "must do." I use Pentosin for the coolant, which makes the Nissan coolant (Pentafrost A2 green for up to 2010and Pentafrost A3 blue for 2010+ Nissans); Autozone often carries it, as does some other part stores and Rockauto. Blue comes pre-mixed and green is concentrated.
Ah okay thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping to do this in the next few days so already picked up most of it. I'll probably take the trans fluid back for the Valvoline since it was pretty expensive and need to find a place that sells Pentosin.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
This is the second newer truck that has had this happen in the past month or so, just on this forum. The other guy had a 2014 and he said his repairman told him he's seen dozens of newer nissans in his shop with cross-contam.So apparently its still happening.
There are thousands of repair shops in America - which means that if there were "dozens" of late-model Frontiers with the SMOD in one shop, it would add up to tens of thousands in all the shops across America.

If there really were ten thousand late-model Frontiers with the SMOD, we would have heard about it.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I use Pentosin for the coolant, which makes the Nissan coolant (Pentafrost A2 green for up to 2010and Pentafrost A3 blue for 2010+ Nissans); Autozone often carries it, as does some other part stores and Rockauto. Blue comes pre-mixed and green is concentrated.
smj, if I'm reading this correctly, are you saying that the Pentafrost A3 blue for my '15 SV can only be bought premixed and not in full concentration? There's the part of me that doesn't want to pay for the diluted product...would rather have full concentration and add my own RO water. But, apparently I don't have the choice?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Nope, your a victim of corp. greed along with the rest of us.Pre-mixed coolant is one of the biggest scams for increasing profits this decade.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Now what about bypassing the radiator by adding a long/slim style aftermarket trans cooler? Will it run too cold this way?. A new OEM radiator costs $630 from the dealership. I'd be interested in a aftermarket one if I knew it was quality. Problem is they are so hit or miss.

edit: doing more research on aftermarket radiators... Anyone have experience with Koyo or Denso? I've used Koyo in the past and hever had an issue so may go with that for $136 shipped. Was also looking at full aluminum 2 row radiators for about $180 shipped.:unsure:
Jeffredx over at thenewx.org did a whole bunch of testing on the transmission temps - bypassed and through the rad - long story short is the cooler through the rad (fluid to fluid cooler) is exponentially more efficient than any air to fluid cooler - which is why OEM's use it. Technically any rad can fail in this manner, its just pretty rare. All his data is posted over there if you want to search around - I can;'t find it readily.

I changed my 2008 Xterra with a spectra rad at 80K (right when the extended rad warranty expired). I used a Spectra from Amazon, and even though it was chinese that vehicle is now at 356,000 miles without any rad issues. Still I think I would use a Koyo next time.

Based on this I may change the rad in my 2011 Fronty. I have read that 8 to 10 years is pretty much the useful life of a radiator anyway, so no big deal. However I literally just changed the electric fan, old one was really loud - so I could have done it all at once. Oh well, its a pretty simple job.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
smj, if I'm reading this correctly, are you saying that the Pentafrost A3 blue for my '15 SV can only be bought premixed and not in full concentration? There's the part of me that doesn't want to pay for the diluted product...would rather have full concentration and add my own RO water. But, apparently I don't have the choice?
Yes, Nissan Blue Coolant and/or Pentosin Pentafrost A3 are sold as pre-mix only. You don't "have to" use only those choices, but they are the OE coolant. Valvoline ZEREX Asian Formula Blue is a good aftermarket alternative.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts