Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my 2013 Frontier 4X4 just had the radiator/transmission cross-contamination event happen. The Frontier has 56,000km (34,791 miles) on it. The drivetrain warranty from Nissan would not cover it, due to the fact that my 5 year ended in July 2018. I was informed when purchasing it that, this transmission issue only happened from 2007-2010 and now I have a $6,700 repair bill. Has anyone in North America ever taken Nissan to court and won. I further researched this online and it sounds like over 10,000 vehicles have had this transmission failure happen to them. It seems criminal that this is still happening in 2019, with no recalls issued. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know how to proceed.
Thanks for you time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have many Miles on it, cause I often am driving my work truck. I was shocked to see the damage to the transmission, as I often check all my fluids due to living in the mountains.
I just wish Nissan would due a recall and admit to the consumer its a factory engineering flaw.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I don’t understand.. if you had the transmission done what did you do about the main problem, the radiator! Who done the repairs? If you or they knew what caused it, it should have been fixed with a new radiator also. ?? Am I missing something here?

This question is based off your other post... about is bypassing the right thing to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Transmission is rebuilt, due to the torque convertor damage during the fluid cross contamination. Radiator has been changed and we are also putting in a separate transmission cooler, because I simply can't afford to have this happen ever again. I want to trust that i'll be driving a reliable Frontier again and not worrying about a transmission breakdown.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Do you have any idea what numbers you had on your radiator? Sticker that was on the right of your filler cap.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
There was a class-action lawsuit in NY state that Nissan lost, which made Nissan revise their already extended radiator warranty for 05-10 model years to 100,000 miles, which cost limits of $2500 and $3500 placed at the 80K+ and 90K+ mileage tiers, respectively. This is the first 2013 model that I've heard of having the radiator's trans cooler issue fail. There have been a very limited few 2011 models, but that's been it up until now as far as what's been reported on most of the major Nissan forums. I, too, would like to know the part number on the top tank of the radiator, if you have it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
This is the second newer truck that has had this happen in the past month or so, just on this forum. The other guy had a 2014 and he said his repairman told him he's seen dozens of newer nissans in his shop with cross-contam.So apparently its still happening.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
This is the second newer truck that has had this happen in the past month or so, just on this forum. The other guy had a 2014 and he said his repairman told him he's seen dozens of newer nissans in his shop with cross-contam.So apparently its still happening.
Great! Thanks for posting, guess I’ll be doing the bypass for the 3rd Nissan I’ve had. This is ridiculous.. I figured it was all taken care of by Nissan or else I would have never bought another. Yea sure I can put another radiator in, I can put a new transmission in too while Nissan keeps skating by without consequences.

Sorry just venting!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not impressed with any Nissa. In my home, wife drives a 10 Altima 2.5S, motor went at 42k miles. Son drives a top trim level 13 Maxima. Was a nice ride. 77k miles, rides like 177k! Mine, 14 Frontier CCab. Rust, rattles, squeaks! All 3, rust like I've never seen for their ages. Exhaust systems on all 3, rusting fast. Been replacing pipes on the Altima, hose clamping heat shields on all 3 since 3 years old on each. Interiors, seat cloth and leather, poor quality. Pray they keep on going!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Kucifer do you still have access to the old radiator to get the numbers off the top for us? It would really help us to try and figure this out.. possible your truck may have gotten one of the old model radiator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts