Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1219 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I took my '07 into the shop to have them look at the Transmission Oil Filter in the Pan and they said it was already leaking radiator fluid (Im at 148K). Im pretty miffed because when I bought this truck used @ 100K 3 years ago, I took it back to the local dealer that had been servicing it and asked them to do a once-over and make sure there wasn't anything I should do since it was at 100K. They happily took my $200 and said everything looked great... so that was pretty lame and since this is such a well known issue, Im dumbfounded why they didn't mention it. Especially because the bad Radiator Part number sticker is probably the easiest sticker to see under the hood when you first pop it. MIFFED for sure. Looks like Im out $4500 now.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I can understand your frustration, but keep in mind the forums are focused on the problem whereas dealers and dealer techs may not be. Not every...and chances are there are many who don't...Nissan techs that go home and answer automotive forums questions; I'm sure by the time they get home the last thing they want to do is discuss more car problems, especially if they have a wife and kids! I do it, but I'm over a decade removed from doing it full-time. Nissan never officially listed the radiator part numbers of those potentially affected and the truth is that only a small percentage of the whole will experience the problem. Now, "small percentage" could be thousands as there were roughly 300,000 R51 Pathfinders sold with, potentially, a radiator that will "may" fail in the US, alone, plus all of the Xterras and V6 Frontiers sold during that era...along with all of those sold in Canada. Nissan doesn't want to recall them because the radiators were made by Calsonic, a company that Nissan bought out around 2005, so it would cost them millions of dollars to do so...and they feel their extended warranty, which was updated to the same warranty extension granted to those that won a class action lawsuit in NY state, is more than an adequate action to take. Dealer employees, including techs, that may know of the problem may not want to admit to it to avoid being brought into litigation. The other side of it is people are always complaining about mechanics, especially dealers, trying to sell the unnecessary repairs, so that can play into it, as well. Now, in your case, you asked them to check it over 3-years and 148,000 miles ago and they said everything was okay. Just because they check over a vehicle and all seems good doesn't give you a lifetime guarantee that nothing ever will, be it an expensive or inexpensive repair. I would hope that if they saw something that suggested the cooler was failing, they would've mentioned. Chances are it wasn't, because if it was, the problem would have likely "reared its ugly head" long before 3-years and 148K miles. If they checked it out and a few days later you found out your transmission or radiator was filled with "custard" due to cross-contamination, then I would agree that you have a legitimate beef, but not 3-year later. I can't tell you how many times I've told people about a problem, or, people have told be about a problem with their vehicle, and they've asked me, "How long do I got until it fails?" Without the abilities to look into a crystal ball and foresee the future, my guess is usually no better than their's. Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I hope you can get her going, again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, thanks for the reply. Good perspective for sure... Im not overly pissed about it, just more miffed at the dealer didn't bring it up since that was my point of taking it in, but as you said, in a Dealer Service center, this a pretty small and also old issue. Either way, I will have a new transmission + radiator after this so it should be a solid truck again (like it has been so far). Cheers!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Please forgive me for being lazy and having a TLDR moment - I went 3 pages in from the beginning and 3 from the end. Couldn't do all 60 pages to find this answer:

It's been a few years now since everyone found out about the radiator contamination issue. Is there a running list of aftermarket replacement radiators that have been verified to address this (i.e workmanship is not an issue)? Just bought used frontier with 100k and although age and time suggests I may have a good one, I rather replace just to keep the luck going.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Please forgive me for being lazy and having a TLDR moment - I went 3 pages in from the beginning and 3 from the end. Couldn't do all 60 pages to find this answer:

It's been a few years now since everyone found out about the radiator contamination issue. Is there a running list of aftermarket replacement radiators that have been verified to address this (i.e workmanship is not an issue)? Just bought used frontier with 100k and although age and time suggests I may have a good one, I rather replace just to keep the luck going.
Start your advanced search with “21460-EA215”.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts

It only occurred on the factory-installed radiators; aftermarket radiators, Nissan "Value Line" replacement radiators and the current, original equipment, replacement radiators from Nissan are not known to have any failures.

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
For those interested in this mod...
If you bypass, you need to monitor your transmission temperature. Get a Bullydog, install a gauge, etc... just don't bypass and forget it.
humm, I heard with the bypass the trans actually runs cooler -someone monitored/measured. Now maybe if you're towing near max weights or something....it would be a different story.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
humm, I heard with the bypass the trans actually runs cooler -someone monitored/measured. Now maybe if you're towing near max weights or something....it would be a different story.
Probably talking about when you bypass and live in cold climate areas your transmission will not warm up properly especially on short runs. The radiator bypass deletes the early warming process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So is the bypass the answer here? I live in a cooler climate in the mountains, I'm concerned that I could end up with another costly bill!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
So is the bypass the answer here? I live in a cooler climate in the mountains, I'm concerned that I could end up with another costly bill!
If you have a 2010 or older I would bypass first chance you get.. regardless of mileage or where you’re located. You can also opt to get a new radiator and forget the bypass but I would not wait to do it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Plus one. What MD said.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you have a 2010 or older I would bypass first chance you get.. regardless of mileage or where you’re located. You can also opt to get a new radiator and forget the bypass but I would not wait to do it.
so just to verify - a new radiator (of any type) will prevent the issue? or should a bypass be done anyway just to be sure even with a new radiator?

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
so just to verify - a new radiator (of any type) will prevent the issue? or should a bypass be done anyway just to be sure even with a new radiator?

thanks for the help!
The only way to 100% guarantee the issue will never happen is to not have coolant running through the radiator, i.e. "bypass." That said, it's a design that has been used and been very reliable for decades; Calsonic just happened to have an issue with their design in 2005 that was the cause of the problems (a seal in the cooler unit inside the lower radiator tank can fail). None of the aftermarket replacements, nor the Nissan "Value Line" radiators nor current, updated "Nissan original replacement" parts have been reported as having issues. So, you don't need to spend a lot of money. You'll find that most of the replacements are made in China, but they have been pretty good as far as quality. Rockauto.com has several options and a lot of people like Spectra Premium. The Spectra Premium radiators, while made in China, have a two year warranty and the company is based in Canada. Their reputation is pretty good.

·
Registered
590 Posts
@Kucifer is referring to this an an issue with a 2013...

1181 - 1200 of 1219 Posts