Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 XE V6 4x4. Last winter, the output shaft and rear planet stripped in the transmission. I rebuilt it and it has worked now for about 12,000 miles. However, lately it has been acting up pretty badly, especially in 4th gear. Some heavy vibration at highway speeds that I know is from the transmission because when I force it into third, they stop. Anyways, I'm getting prepared for when it dies. I know that I have the RE4R01A trans. Wikipedia says the RE4R01A is in a long list of cars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatco_4R01_transmission). I plan on looking for a low mileage wreck and pull the transmission from that. I wondered if anyone had any inputs on which cars would be the best because there seems to be a shortage of Frontiers in my area (Eastern Ky). Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
Keep in mind that while a particular transmission model may be used in a lot of vehicles, there can be a number of physical and/or electrical differences between them, especially in gearing. Even for the '99 Frontier V6 4x4, Nissan lists three different part #'s. I know the King Cab transmission is different than the standard cab. If you are picking from a salvage yard, they will usually have a Hollander's interchange manual and can help you out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, that makes more sense. I didn't think it was as simple as it sounded. Do you know how I would go about finding the specific part # for my model?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Look for a v6 4x4 xterra or frontier 1999 to 2004. A transmission from a supercharged xterra or frontier will also work. Check out car-part.com. Saw a few 2003-2004 with around 100k miles for $450 near eastern ky. Just depends on where in eastern Ky you are. I have a transmission from a 2000 frontier in my hardbody. Not much has changed over the years. They all have the same wiring connectors and bolt up the same to the engine and transfer case. The supercharged transmissions are suppose to be stronger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm near Ashland. Thanks a lot. I'll look into that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like Sperry Auto Parts, Inc 344 Sperry Road, South Portsmouth, KY 41174 has a couple of 2003 xterras

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, where did you see the ones with 100k?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found two transmissions from 2003 v6 xterras. However, the man I talked to said that he didn’t think they were the same. Can anyone verify either way? I’d hate to pull the transmission out of my truck and find out they’re not compatible. Lol

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
You ever think about spending money on a rebuild? With a used transmission you never know what you are going to get.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah. There’s a couple shops that I need to call and get estimates from. I was just looking at all my options.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts