Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
So about a four months ago my clutch went on my frontier (05 Nismo, king cab). I had it replaced with a stage 2 SPEC clutch.
Around a week ago, it felt like my clutch was starting to slip. What happens is, when i release the clutch, and i give it any gas, the truck revs high and then settles.
The thing is, there is NO burning clutch smell, there is lots of pressure on the clutch peddle and shifting feels normal. Also, if I pump the clutch about 20 times, the truck almost drives normal again.
The only thing my mechanic and I can come up with is that the slave cylinder is scored or seized.

Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions, or are we on the right track?

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Luke :confused:

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Sounds like ether your master cylinder (for the clutch) or slave cylinder are leaking past, from what you say about pumping it. They can be rebuilt but I may be easier to just get new ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking, but we also think it may be a spring that popped off on the clutch. \

Any thoughts on that?

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
clutch and brake master are shared so unless your brakes are having an issue I'd say it's the slave cylinder. My nephew had that go bad in a spec-v altima and it was a cheap repair and all is well again.

Clint

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
That's what I was thinking, but we also think it may be a spring that popped off on the clutch. \

Any thoughts on that?
No, the springs on a clutch cant "pop off" they are built into the spring plate. They can get weak but very unlikely and only if there is something inherently wrong with the clutch from the manufacturer or the clutch is getting old, like years.

clutch and brake master are shared so unless your brakes are having an issue I'd say it's the slave cylinder. My nephew had that go bad in a spec-v altima and it was a cheap repair and all is well again.

Clint
Huh? Care to expand on that?

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
my truck has only one master cylinder which is shared by both the clutch and the brakes. I was unaware of this until I read it here.

my nephews issue was the slave cylinder and similar to your problem. On occasion the pedal would drop to the floor.

Clint

1 - 6 of 6 Posts