Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any advice!?!?!

I have been experiencing the 'rumble strip' sensation at 70kmp (42mph) which I believe is a shift point into 5th gear and it is also shifting hard. I checked the tranny fluid and it is not the color it should be.

So, I have an appointment tomorrow morning at my dealership.

The warranty in Canada is good up to 100,000km (Drivetrain Warranty) and the truck currently has 90,000km. So, should I push for a new transmission or have them flush everything?

Also, I saw in the US there is a classaction lawsuit on this; any Canadians know of one here? We (Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra owners) should log all of these issues and hit Nissan hard on this one!!! I am thinking of creating a website where users can record their problems so we have a running tally. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
What color is the fluid?

Did you check under the radiator cap or the strawberry shake?

If it is a contamination issue I would push for a new trans and a new radiator. Once there is contamination and you run on that, the trans is fubared. Its life is severly shortened.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input...

The tranny fluid is an almost an orange - almost rust looking in color.

I figured that the tranny life would be compromised!

·
Registered
755 Posts
new trans and radiator with t stat and water pump, flush cooling system. that should fix it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are they obligated to replace the tranny. I am worried that they will simply try to change fluids and say "it will be fine..."

Would you suggest a non-Nissan rad; something better? Don't want to see this again in the near future...

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
They will replace the trans. Too much damage is already done so a simple flush is out of the question.

Nissan will not use an aftermarket radiator for warranty work.

If you have the choice thou, you can use a radiator from a manual that doesn't have the trans cooler or you can see if an aftermarket solid aluminum radiator for a Titan will fit.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Are they obligated to replace the tranny. I am worried that they will simply try to change fluids and say "it will be fine..."

Would you suggest a non-Nissan rad; something better? Don't want to see this again in the near future...

Thanks for all the input.
Since Nissan radiators are prone to failure why would you use it again?
If Nissan does replace the radiator it will be replaced with an updated model which will not have the same problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
if you have this failure after 36 months but prior to 60,000 miles they will tell you the radiator failed causing the trans to fail and is not covered under the powertrain warranty.

Clint

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
if you have this failure after 36 months but prior to 60,000 miles they will tell you the radiator failed causing the trans to fail and is not covered under the powertrain warranty.

Clint
Clint... holy cow man! My blood pressure just went through the freaking roof. You've got to be kidding, right? How logical is that? Have you had first hand experience with this? Can't wait for my appointment tomorrow morning.

Also, checked the radiator cap - sure enough... strawberry milk shake!

They will replace the trans. Too much damage is already done so a simple flush is out of the question.

Nissan will not use an aftermarket radiator for warranty work.

If you have the choice thou, you can use a radiator from a manual that doesn't have the trans cooler or you can see if an aftermarket solid aluminum radiator for a Titan will fit.
...and that is why I will be selling the truck after this has been settled. To bad, ...really like my LE Crew Cab in Storm Grey

I will be fighting this long and hard! Will keep everyone posted.

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
That's exactly what I was told.

Clint

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's exactly what I was told.

Clint
So what did it cost you? And I noticed you have two Nissan vehicles - would you ever buy another one?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I have heard the radiator caused the failure so you are screwed before but I am not sure how much they can really stand on that argument. I think if you when thru the channels and the BBB and etc... they would cave. They may not want to pay for the radiator thou so that would suck but then you can do the bypass and call it a day.

I understand on how you would want to sell the truck but only do that if something else fits your style better. If you are going to downgrade to something that isn't large enough to be forced to upgrade to something that is too huge, then it isn't worth the trade.

There are ways to do a permient fix after the trans has been replaced so that should give you back some confidence in the VQ40 w/ 5a set-up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have heard the radiator caused the failure so you are screwed before but I am not sure how much they can really stand on that argument. I think if you when thru the channels and the BBB and etc... they would cave. They may not want to pay for the radiator thou so that would suck but then you can do the bypass and call it a day.

I understand on how you would want to sell the truck but only do that if something else fits your style better. If you are going to downgrade to something that isn't large enough to be forced to upgrade to something that is too huge, then it isn't worth the trade.

There are ways to do a permient fix after the trans has been replaced so that should give you back some confidence in the VQ40 w/ 5a set-up.
... you guys are going to hate me for saying this, but there is a dark blue 08 taco crew cab for sale up the road from the Nissan dealership.

Honestly, once I see what the fix involves, I may not sell it.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
... you guys are going to hate me for saying this, but there is a dark blue 08 taco crew cab for sale up the road from the Nissan dealership.

Honestly, once I see what the fix involves, I may not sell it.
We are not going to hate you. Frontier's are not for everyone so if something else fits your style better, then go for it as long as the wallet allows.

Just beware with used vehicles. Just like you are thinking about doing, they may have done.

I would also extensively test drive whatever you think about buying to make sure it has the power you want and where you need it.

They should be replacing the trans, the radiator and then don't a complete flush on the coolant system. I don't think they can really stand behind the whole radiator only good for 36k argument since it is an oem part that doesn't require maintance or any kind of suggested change interval. Plus, it isn't like its an aftermarket part that caused the failure, it was oem.

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts
So what did it cost you? And I noticed you have two Nissan vehicles - would you ever buy another one?
I've owned many Nissans. I'd buy another one.
They replaced the trans for free and I paid for the radiator so my guess is Nissan doesn't know the true cause for the failure. Go speak to them and see their response. If they say no, see if you can do what I did.

Clint

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've owned many Nissans. I'd buy another one.
They replaced the trans for free and I paid for the radiator so my guess is Nissan doesn't know the true cause for the failure. Go speak to them and see their response. If they say no, see if you can do what I did.

Clint
UPDATE...

Okay, here is what Nissan Canada is offering.
They will replace the radiator and flush the tranny three times. Refill all the fluids. If the transmission continues to fail/grind/shutter then they will replace the transmission.

The radiator was only covered to 60,000km but they are honouring the warranty; the truck has 90,000km.

I have collected many email addresses and telephone numbers of Nissan Canada contacts - I may be pushing them for an extended warranty on the tranny considering it may be compromised.

Any thoughts or input...

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I would still push for a new trans but if they are only willing to replace the radiator and flush the systems, then I would defiently push for an extended warranty on the transmission. I am just not sure how many kms you should have it extended to?

·
Registered
704 Posts
just make sure the tranny is really toast when you bring it in.run it hard the day before and park it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts