Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2007 fronter le crew cab long bed 4x4 AT. transmission went out.

They want 5k for a new one. Trying to located a used one. want to make sure i can get the correct one.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
thank you for asking the right question lol.

either way at 5k you are getting the high hard one with no lube. you can have a trans on this forum for sub 750$, and you can install in a single day. promise.
i would consider ebay in a situation like this, you may spend around 1500-1750 on the trans itself. obviously used, but with a warranty and most of the time they come out of a junk yard who just sells stuff on ebay, so you can call them direct once you find what you are looking for.

good luck, for 5k i could probably go to vegas for a whole week, as well as replace the transmission.

·
Premium Member
5,760 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^

Solid words.

I've had decent luck finding parts not listed on Ebay by finding the specific vehicle that parts are being sold off of and then as Andy said, contacting the JY directly and asking for said part. I got a correct colored gas door for my last truck for $10 out of a junk yard in TX a few years ago that way.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Have you thought about getting yours rebuilt?
I was in a similar situation last year and after lots of research and hunting for a known good used trans, a rebuild made the most sense. Paid $2900 otd for a full rebuild with HD bands and a few other improvements at an local independent transmission shop with a 3 year 36k mile warranty. Current have 20k miles on the rebuild and still shifts better than it did when I bought it. About to do the first fluid change post rebuild here pretty soon.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
A trans rebuild around here is around $4200 with a 5yr 100k warranty

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks tryng to do more research. was to hung over saturday to try and mess with this.

Alot of the transmission shops i have called in the area dont mess with nissans.

Its chevys, gmc and ford country

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
buy a used one on ebay or on here and swap it out.
having someone rebuild it is an awesome idea, if you have someone local thats willing to do it at a good price that does awesome work with a good warranty.
but like thats a lot of points they have to hit.

JY you can literally have them take a picture of the ODO and send you the trans with a warranty. toss it in that weekend and chirp some brodies.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does the Transmission swap require the TCM to be reprogrammed by the dealer?

I don't know what part of the SC coast your at, but I have had a couple major things done by AutoTech near summerville. I had them do the timing chains and heater core on my 08 Xterra - and was happy with both. No affiliation with them - only 2 times I have been there - was treated fairly both times.

The 2 local dealers in Charleston are beyond worthless. Both quoted $2500+ for the timing chains (I laughed). I would have done it myself but didn't have the time.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes 5k installed 36k mile warranty.

I do think i can do it myself and have a few friends that have lifts.

One stupid question i would need a 4x4 transmission for my year truck. The long bed doesnt matter correct. Long bed just has a different drive shaft

Sorry for the stupid questions i used to know a ton about my truck but i havent been on here in years

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does the Transmission swap require the TCM to be reprogrammed by the dealer?

I don't know what part of the SC coast your at, but I have had a couple major things done by AutoTech near summerville. I had them do the timing chains and heater core on my 08 Xterra - and was happy with both. No affiliation with them - only 2 times I have been there - was treated fairly both times.

The 2 local dealers in Charleston are beyond worthless. Both quoted $2500+ for the timing chains (I laughed). I would have done it myself but didn't have the time.

South of Myrtle beach.
I have some family that has a place not too far from summerville.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
352 Posts
$5k is the same price out here in Hawaii. Cheapest rebuilt trans here is $3k if you can do it yourself.

Not sure if I would trust a used trans if you don't know the history. Who knows if it had SMOD in the past?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking a getting a rebuilt one.

So im trying to search now to see what the whole process would be.

Any thread on replacing them and what all it pertains too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So let me get this straight. Your trans just fails and not due to SMOD correct? I'm just trying to figure out how the hell a transmission fails in these things unless you are towing all kinds of load. The trans in my Frontier is the same damn trans I have in my G35 sedan. That just seems crazy to me. I get that the gearing is different and all.

Any ideas what caused the failure?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts