Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of a 2007 2.5 XE. Wondering if it is normal for transmission to grind when shifting into reverse if not at a complete stop. Clutch completely pushed. On My old 2001 frontier I could put into reverse will still rolling forward without any problem.

I run into this issue when trying to to a quick 2 or 3 or 4 point turn....Turning radius on this thing is kinda terrible.

Anyone else have this problem? Anything I can do about it. The clutch is fairly new in the truck, maybe they didn't adjust something correct when installed?

·
Registered
305 Posts
New owner of a 2007 2.5 XE. Wondering if it is normal for transmission to grind when shifting into reverse if not at a complete stop. Clutch completely pushed. On My old 2001 frontier I could put into reverse will still rolling forward without any problem.

I run into this issue when trying to to a quick 2 or 3 or 4 point turn....Turning radius on this thing is kinda terrible.

Anyone else have this problem? Anything I can do about it. The clutch is fairly new in the truck, maybe they didn't adjust something correct when installed?
It's not a problem actually. It's an expected behavior with the manual transmission on these trucks. The fact that you could do it before was more blind luck than anything else.

The simplified version is that reverse is not a synchronized gear like the forward gears are. If you are rolling either backward or forward, there is no way for the transmission gear set to synchronize the reverse cogs. 1st through 5th or 6th (depending on which transmission you have) have synchronizer rings that speed up or slow down the gears sets when shifting, so the gears don't clash.

In short, you should ALWAYS be at a full stop when shifting into reverse. It is noted in your owner's manual and you are physically damaging the reverse cogs when you grind them forcibly while moving. My advice is to treat your truck well early on and learn to shift into and out of reverse when stopped.

Lastly, while it is possible to shift into 1st while rolling in reverse, it is still wise to be at a stand still, to avoid excess wear to that gear as well. That is also in the owner's book.

Good luck and enjoy your Fronty! ::wink::

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the explanation. Just wanted reassurance that there wasn't anything wrong with it. I am sure it will get better as I get more comfortable with this truck.

Any fix to make the turning radius better? ::smile::

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thank you for the explanation. Just wanted reassurance that there wasn't anything wrong with it. I am sure it will get better as I get more comfortable with this truck.

LOL, if you find a fix, let me know! I have driven vans with shorter turning radii than our Fronties. My only real complaint.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Yeah - drive my 1988 Mazda B2200 Cab Plus truck - then you'll never complain about a turning radius again !!!

And DO NOT shift into reverse while still moving, never heard of such an outlandish idea..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not talking about shifting while traveling quickly. Just trying to do a quick forward to backward to forward turn around. I'm probably not explaining it well Seems like I have to come to a full and complete stop before I can shift. If I wanted to do everything all slow i'd drive an automatic. ;)

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Agreed that you need to come to a FULL stop when putting the tranny into reverse.

I read that if you do a titan swap you get a little more turning radius.

Years ago in my teens I had a 1976 toyota corolla station wagon with a 5 speed manual. The thing was set up like a 2wd truck. Solid rear axle on leaf springs and independent front. I drove the thing like a truck too. I wanted to be able to do a reverse burn out (in the dirt) while still moving forward. But learned that you can not stuff a manual transmission in reverse when the car is still rolling forward. You post reminded me of this. Took a while but I eventually did it. You needed to lock up the wheels (no abs and the e brake was not strong enough) while still moving forward, depresses the clutch, shift into reverse, with your foot still on the brake heel/toe the gas, engage the clutch, while releasing the brake. To be a teen again.

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
i do not have a manual frontier, but i have had many many many manual cars.
the grinding is your syncros not meshing because there is too much speed between your engine/clutch combo transferring into your trans and rotating the internals.

unless the syncros suck in the reverse gear, you should be able to put it in reverse while moving.
maybe they blow i do not know, but one of my favorite things to do at the track was back and forth burnouts, lol i was for sure not stopped on any vehicle while rolling in reverse.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i do not have a manual frontier, but i have had many many many manual cars.
the grinding is your syncros not meshing because there is too much speed between your engine/clutch combo transferring into your trans and rotating the internals.

unless the syncros suck in the reverse gear, you should be able to put it in reverse while moving.
maybe they blow i do not know, but one of my favorite things to do at the track was back and forth burnouts, lol i was for sure not stopped on any vehicle while rolling in reverse.
Frontiers don't have reverse synchros. That's why they clash. ::smile::

1 - 11 of 11 Posts