Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does our 5spd auto transmission circulate fluids when in neutral? Something I picked up as a habit with my 05 dually was to put the tranny in neutral for 20-30 seconds when I first start the truck so it could warmup just a little before driving. Not 100% sure if it helps, but I'm 11 years in and no problems. I'm doing the same thing with my new DR and am curious if anyone more familiar with the inner workings of the transmission can tell me if the fluids are moving while in neutral?

·
Super Moderator
11,250 Posts
Why would neutral be any different than being in park?
My guess is is the fluid is always moving if the engine is running.

Clint

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

Clint
Not true on all autos but can't answer about Frontiers - would be nice to know - hope someone answers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Clint
It is different. As I mentioned in my post, my Dodge 3500 transmission moves fluid while in neutral, but not park. Hopefully we've got someone intimate with our 5spd transmission who might see this and answer. Might have to contact my dealer to find out.

·
Super Moderator
11,250 Posts
It has been posted in the past that some have filled a bucket and pumped new fluid through the system to exchange fluid but not pushing it through the trans. Based on that I'd say it pumps in park.

Clint

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Since the pump is at the front of the trans and driven by the torque converter, I don't see how it would not circulate all the time the engine is running.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts