Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching " transmission filter" but not much was mentioned. I just picked up an 2005 automatic frontier less than 2 weeks ago and im new to nissan. Currently, in the process in replacing the radiator to an aluminium one. I would like to replace the transmission filter but the dealership said they aren't serviceable. Can someone please confirm this?

thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
No filter. If I remember correctly it is just a filter screen that shouldn't require replacement as long as you change the fluid regularly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No filter. If I remember correctly it is just a filter screen that shouldn't require replacement as long as you change the fluid regularly.

can that screen be replace? im planning in dropping the pan and do a full flush.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yes it can be replaced. Might as well change it since you are dropping the pan. Plus it is only 10-15 dollars. Rock Auto sells them.

·
Super Moderator
10,430 Posts
Pulling the pan gets no more fluid out than removing the drain plug.
The dealer doesn't change the screen so why bother?
Good luck with the truck, welcome to the forum.

Clint

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes it can be replaced. Might as well change it since you are dropping the pan. Plus it is only 10-15 dollars. Rock Auto sells them.
do you have the part number?

Pulling the pan gets no more fluid out than removing the drain plug.
The dealer doesn't change the screen so why bother?
Good luck with the truck, welcome to the forum.

Clint
so don't drain it? i better to just pull the pan first, and let it flow out, how come?

thanks, this forum rocks!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
do you have the part number?

so don't drain it? i better to just pull the pan first, and let it flow out, how come?

thanks, this forum rocks!

No, he is saying that dropping the pan will not remove any more fluid than using the drain plug. There is only 1/3 of the fluid in the pan the rest is in the transmission. Go to the DIY section and look at transmission drain and fill. Its all in there.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Put your time and money into doing several drain and fills instead of dropping pan and all that mess. Drain tranny, add 1 gallon Japanese approved fluid (Valvoline and Castrol both have one). Do this next 2-3 oil changes and will be good.

·
Super Moderator
10,430 Posts
Put your time and money into doing several drain and fills instead of dropping pan and all that mess. Drain tranny, add 1 gallon Japanese approved fluid (Valvoline and Castrol both have one). Do this next 2-3 oil changes and will be good.
That's a good guage for spacing out drain and fills, I measure what comes out as I get a little more than four quarts.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Jatco automatic transmissions use screens instead of filters. When I took the automatic transmission course at Nissan's regional training center, I was told the reason for this is that there is enough debris in the trans fluid to restrict or clog the flow of fluid through the filter, then the transmission is breaking down to the point where it needs an overhaul, not a simple fluid service. Also, keep in mind that the factory fill on the 5-spd. automatics is synthetic and does not easily breakdown. A simple drain and fill every 30000-50000 miles is more than adequate unless your vehicle sees some really abusive conditions. I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF from Walmart in a 1-gallon jug at $18, which works out perfectly. The drain plug gasket is Nissan P/N 11026-01M02, the same # as the engine oil drain plug gasket, which you can pick up on Ebay in bags of 5, 20, 30, etc. I believe the torque spec is about 26 ft/lbs. If you do pull the pan, keep in mind that Nissan recommends replacing all of the transmission bolts, which come from Nissan with a sealer applied to the threads. I would also recommend a Nissan pan gasket. I know there are aftermarket kits for $20 or less, but I've seen a lot of them leak afterwards. I usually go about 80 inch pounds on the pan bolts.

Reactions: Bturner26x
1 - 10 of 10 Posts