Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I could use some help on removing the transmission dip stick bolt. The bolt is completely free spinning, making impossible for me to remove with a socket. I even tried using impact driver to see if could spin it fast enough that would to pop out.

Has anyone had a similar issue? I am thinking of just using bolt cutters to snap the bracket off the cap to bypass the bolt completely. Before going nuclear option, I wanted to see if anyone had some ideas on how to remove the bolt.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
Get someone to pull up on the dipstick while you spin it with the impact?

·
Registered
33 Posts
honestly I say just cut it, I removed my bolt half a year ago, and never put it back on. not sure why nissan put a bolt on a dip stick...

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
honestly I say just cut it, I removed my bolt half a year ago, and never put it back on. not sure why nissan put a bolt on a dip stick...
They started putting the bolt on the dipstick when the RE5R05A transmission came out to prevent DIY'ers from putting the wrong ATF in the transmission. Using NissanMatic Type "D" ATF or Dexron II or Dexron III/Mercon ATF in the RE5R05A can cause damage to the torque converter. It requires NissanMatic Type "J" or "S" ATF or a similar Japanese spec JASO A1 spec automatic transmission fluid recommend for said applications. They went even further on the Jatco 9-speed AT in the Titan and next generation Frontier and Pathfinder by eliminating the dipstick, altogether!

Reactions: AndysLog

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Get someone to pull up on the dipstick while you spin it with the impact?
^^ This. I'd try this first before going nuclear, if the last thread at the base of the bolt is boogered, it'll just spin until you put some tension on it and unwind it out. I've had to do this multiple times with bolts in sheetmetal, through the years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts