Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently hit 160k miles on my 2003 nissan frontier XE v6 3.3L RWD automatic transmission. I park on the street which faces uphill. When I start the truck and shift into drive and press the gas pedal the truck will roll backward 3 or 4 feet before it Jerks and drives forward. I also notice after accelerating sometimes I can hear a grinding noise coming from the rear of the truck that lasts for a second and stops. I'm trying to figure out if it's the transfer case or torque converter. Any ideas?

·
Registered
423 Posts
You may have more than one problem. I have seen auto transmissions delay going into gear like you are describing but the Noise from the rear could be an additional problem or the only problem. If you can do your own work, I would suggest you check the rear first but if you don't do your own work, take it to a shop and ask them to check it out. With the grinding noise in the rear, you don't want to wait too long to have it checked

Reactions: B4_685

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had i wouldn't say a similar problem but one in the same family. I have had my transmission replaced about a year ago but I was noticing when I was on the high way and let off of the gas and coasted and then got back on the gas, I would feel the truck "catch". so i took it in to the dealership and I ended up needing a new rear diff/axle. could possibly be the same problem. Do you do any towing?

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Are you a RWD only or 4wd. If RWD you don't have a transfer case. What it sounds like is your auto tranny is having some issues.

Low fluid level. How often do you check. How often do you change out the fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No I've never towed anything with it. I'm going to be selling it soon just trying to get an idea of the possible causes so I can inform whoever buysaid it.

RWD I check the fluid every two weeks and it's full flush and replace the fluid about every third oil change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts