Nissan Frontier Forum banner

transfer case grinding.

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  slewfoot 
#1 ·
just wondering if anyone else has this problem.. or if it should really be a cause for concern.

i have a 00 Crewcab auto frontier v6 SE all that good stuff. anyway everyonce in a while if i go to shift into 4wd H it will grind and wont let me shift. and i have to turn the truck off and then back on and then it goes in just fine. or something if ive been in 4 for a while i cnat shift back into 2 becuase it does that same thing. but iturn the truck off and back on and its fine. and it doesnt do it every time, its random and not very often. and its not just those 2 combos, it will do it from N to 4L or 4L to 4H whatever, it has done it anyway u can think of.

anyone else have had or heard of this problem? and i never worried about it, it doesnt do it that often. but should it be something i have checked out? or any ideas what causes it?

thanks guys

#2 ·
t-fer

Do you go in reverse when getting out? Does your 4wd indicator light work normally? Have you serviced the t-fer case? I waited a little long to do mine, and once I drained it and filled it up with new...good as gold.

#3 ·
no its when when im trying to shift the lever that it grinds, not when im moving to get out of it.

the light and everything else worrks great. its just sometimes when i move the lever from one position to hte next it grinds when i push it and it wont shift out but when i stop pushing it it stops griding.

#4 ·
Do you have a stick or auto?

#6 ·
I ment for the 4wd. If you have manual t-case and slowly shift or stop in neutnal then the maybe normal. Try shifting without stoping in one smooth motion.

#7 ·
oh yeah that part is a stick. and it doesnt matter if im stopped or rolling. when i push on the lever to shift it, it vibrates and grinds untill i stop pusing on it. its fine when its sitting in gear, it just wont shift out untill i turn the truck off.

#8 ·
How about tires? are they the same size? Is the rear worn more then the front?
If the tires are differnt they can be putting stress on the t-case.

#10 ·
t-fer

wow, frontin, that sounds messed up. i really don't know what to say. it almost sounds like the lever itself is the problem, but if you have to turn it off, almost sounds electrical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.