Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to separate the halves of the transfer case while it's on the vehicle? I stupidly dropped a plastic cap in the fill hole and would feel better if I got it out. Could it be as simple as dropping the rear driveshaft, removing the bolts around the perimeter (picture below) and splitting the transfer case? I am worried parts will fall out or be misaligned. Has anyone done this before?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Yes you can. I did it before to replace the back half of the case(cracked the drain plug off).
Bought a used transfer case and rather than replace the whole transfer case, I opted to just replace the rear case.
They call for a special sealant but I just used silicone.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Do you remember if you ran into any clearance issues with the transmission or exhaust in place? Was it difficult to pry open?

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Not with the tranny but not sure with the exhaust.The exhaust is not close to the transfer case after it was modified.
No, I think we just tapped it with a rubber mallet. Probably the best way is a slide hammer. I had to do that when I replaced the upper pan.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Yeah, I know I should have used what they call out. Figured I was going to tear it up again anyway. I'll use the right stuff next time. Same call on the transfer case to the tranny. Or was it tranny to bell housing?.Didn't use it there either when I blew my clutch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I was lucky and tried flushing the fluid one last time and the cap was visible in the drain hole allowing me to pull it out without tearing the case apart!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts