Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Hey! time for a mod.!:willy_nilly:
After seeing Idleone's Volt gauge install I've been itch'n to stuff something in that hole. :)
A transmission temp. guage would be nice next to my locker switch..

So I found this over at the Titan boards.
HOW TO: Install B&M Transmission Temp Gauge Kit - Nissan Titan Forum

I'm gonna run to my local speedshop and grab one and try it this afternoon.... any opinions?

Add/edit: Here's some additional info esp. regarding the threads..
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f11/update-transmission-temperature-gauge-tech-info-60175/

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Just to give you a bit more info, I believe SuperChargerSandy's husband, KRH2 did this mod also.

I believe he has a thread on TT and CT about it where he stated where he found the correct thread for the trans temp gauge. I remember seeing it on CT so it might be worth a quick check.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Why not get in on the A-pillar group buy?

Doesn't make since to look down to see your gauges.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finished..

Well, preeety simple... sorta...:willy_nilly:

The plug/port in question. Plug wasn't very tight too.

When I stuck an allen wrench in the port, there was a "blockage" way in there; the sensor was likley too long.

The plug compared to sensor.

Decided to chop the adapter that came with the kit and fab a jam-nut. Didn't feel like going to the hardware store; a thick nylon washer shoulda worked(i think).

I was eyeballin' how far the allen wrench went.

Put an O-ring on with some Loctite and screwed sensor in
Ran the wire up into the firewall near the cabin filter. The route was very close to the Cadillac converter :laugh: so I used a section of high heat silcone sleeve to protect it.

Finshed install.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
naw.. the sensor itself just threaded in; the 1/8" to 3/8" adapter got chop saw'd anyway :laugh:

been checking to seepage/leaking.. nope! the original plug really wasn't even that tight(snug + 1/4) so I don't expect any issues with the BIG sealing surface from the "nut".

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Direct pic link for everybody:

Looks good there.

where is the switch blank from? is that stock? i want to mount more lights, and my switches like that

·
Registered
398 Posts
I did the same, but used the Autometer version. The senders must be a little different because mine screwed right into the test port and no fabrication was needed. The thread is 1/8" NPT

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I did the same, but used the Autometer version. The senders must be a little different because mine screwed right into the test port and no fabrication was needed. The thread is 1/8" NPT
^the pic. shows an Autometer? 90* sweep...

The sensors are different for full sweep gauges
_ <- full sweep the tip diameter is smaller.
_ <- 90* sweep
Full sweep guages are way more $$ than 90s; for other "info" I prefer a full dial.
Anyway, I didn't like puttin' it in/on there w/o knowing what my "probe" pressed against in there.

add/edit: for all I know it coulda been a left over casting lip.

UPDATE:
Well, it's been about a hundred miles and all is well, Temps. sway pretty good so I've concluded that the "port" location is fine.
150* loafing along the freeway, 170-185* varying speeds, 180-210* load(uphill in OD)/abuse(brake stand). I haven't towed anything soo.. ?

·
Registered
398 Posts
^the pic. shows an Autometer? 90* sweep...

The sensors are different for full sweep gauges
.. the tip diameter is smaller.

Full sweep guages are way more $$ than 90s; for other "info" I prefer a full dial.
Anyway, I didn't like puttin' it in/on there w/o knowing what my "probe" pressed against in there.

add/edit: for all I know it coulda been a left over casting lip.
Reading Comprehension owns me. I saw the first post and though you did the B&M one.

·
Super Moderator
19,593 Posts
Well, preeety simple... sorta...:willy_nilly:

The plug/port in question. Plug wasn't very tight too.

When I stuck an allen wrench in the port, there was a "blockage" way in there; the sensor was likley too long.

The plug compared to sensor.

Decided to chop the adapter that came with the kit and fab a jam-nut. Didn't feel like going to the hardware store; a thick nylon washer shoulda worked(i think).

I was eyeballin' how far the allen wrench went.

Put an O-ring on with some Loctite and screwed sensor in
Ran the wire up into the firewall near the cabin filter. The route was very close to the Cadillac converter :laugh: so I used a section of high heat silcone sleeve to protect it.

Finshed install.
That's the front brake pressure port according to the service manual. The torque is 65 in-lb.

·
Registered
190 Posts
wow. great job!
that gives me some ideas.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts