Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I crazy? A few days ago I did a drain and fill on my transmission. Replaced the old fluid that came out with the exact amount of Nissan Matic S (a hair shy of 4 qts).

I thought it was placebo. I was noticing a better ride all around. The power came on noticeably more effortlessly. I feel it in all gears but especially feel it in first from a stop. It just wants to keep rolling. It literally feels brand new. Days later and I’m still feeling it.

For what it’s worth I got an oil change and new air filter a week or so before this but didn’t feel this renewed power until the drain and fill. Here’s the fluid that came out:

I found one other thread on here after I noticed what I was feeling where someone claimed similar results after the drain and fill. Just curious if others felt it as well.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
i doubt that you can feel any difference. It may shift a little easier if the fluid was really bad but i doubt you get any more power.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Not an auto trans, but my 6-sp manual had a noticeably smoother feel overall after swapping in some Redline trans fluid. Can't say I felt extra power, though...just an extra solid feel if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
414 Posts
you barely replaced 1/3 of whats in there, imagine how much power you'll feel if you change out the other 9 quarts.bet it would be worth the fifty bucks for atf...........................lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it "feels" quicker, it might be that the trans is not slipping as much with the newer fluid. If that is the case then I would plan on changing out the fluid more often.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your fluid look pretty rough, I would change more of it out using the same method. Seems wasteful, but I would try to get as much of that old fluid out as possible.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Your fluid look pretty rough, I would change more of it out using the same method. Seems wasteful, but I would try to get as much of that old fluid out as possible.
That's the way NissanMatic "J" and "S" look when you drain it. It looks like the transmission fluid is burnt, but that's just the way that fluid looks. If you drain and fill a couple of times with something like Valvoline Maxlife, it will go to the more traditional "cherry red" ATF color. The first time I drained the ATF on my 2008 Pathfinder I thought it was a sign of the trans going south in a hurry. That was at 50,000 miles. Since then, I drain and fill with Valvoline Maxlife every 50,000 miles and it's still shifting like brand new at 250,000 miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As far as some recommendations go for changing fluid, here's what Nissan told me to do with my Altima and I assume it hold the same for the Frontier, X or whatever:

Get 11 quarts of the Matic K, S or whatever is required. Drain the fluid - 4-ish quarts should come out. Add in 3 quarts, start the engine. While holding the brake (never releasing at all), slowly run through each position (P, N, R, D, etc.) and then back to park. Stop the engine. Drain the fluid. It should be most of the fluid from the torque converter. Now, refill to proper levels and you're good to go.

Makes much more sense to do that than drain, refill, drive, drain, refill, drive and so on. Did it on the Altima a couple times and saved more time and money than the other way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts