Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well hopefully ill be installing the trans cooler tomorrow
here is the one i got Perma-Cool 12215 - Perma-Cool Maxi-Cool Six Pass Fluid Coolers – SummitRacing.com

just need to go pick up some hose and a new fitting , goin to be piping it after the radiator

i have one question , can anyone tell me on the 02 if the drivers side tranny line goin into the radiator is the supply from tranny or the return to the tranny ?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i forget man... i actually called nissan when i did mine and they told me to set the parking brake and put it in neutral and start it for just a sec. whatever line spits (obviously) is the feed line.

whats your theory behind mounting it after the OEM cooler? some of the az guys on n4w told me the tranny fluid in the OEM cooler can actually raise the coolant temp and raise the temp of the truck overall. i have been running mine in circuit with, but before the OEM cooler, and i still suspect the tranny is getting hotter than it should.

when you add fluid to the tranny, do it with the motor running, parking brake set, with shifter in neutral. i have been doing alot of reading lately and this is the way to do it, overfilling will cause foaming, which will cause lots of heat. didn't know if you knew that, but it was helpfull to me so i thought i would pass it on.

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
whats your theory behind mounting it after the OEM cooler? some of the az guys on n4w told me the tranny fluid in the OEM cooler can actually raise the coolant temp and raise the temp of the truck overall. i have been running mine in circuit with, but before the OEM cooler, and i still suspect the tranny is getting hotter than it should.
exactly why i would want to cool the trans fluid after it goes thru the radiator, i would cool the fluid alot more with the trans cooler because its by itself and has a high flow fan , and not picking up heat from the radiator that is generated by the engine coolant

otherwise you would be cooling the fluid then putting it back in the loop with the radiator and heating it back up

i could be totally wrong but thats how i looked at it

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
penski i think ur logic is on point. let us know what the results are

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i was told that the tranny fluid is often hotter than the water in the radiator.

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
alright got it all put in and tested out , atleast making sure the fan comes on

made up an extra bracket that wasnt in the kit so it wasnt bouncing all over the place

all done

and video , the temp is a little off since the t-stat is rated for 180 on and 165 off
YouTube - transmission cooler test

the only thing i changed on the setup was flipping around the fan blade so the air is getting pushed thru the coil instead of pulling thru

in the instructions it said that if set - up as pull through it can damage(warp) the blade due to the heat being pulled out of the coil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts