Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is shifting really hard. 5 spd auto. It bumps pretty hard in all gears including reverse. Any ideas? Going to change fluid again. clean out pan and refill with Amsoil fluid. May throw some Lucas tranny fluid in too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
sounds like it might be a pressure switch or the trans control module. Could be damaged wires or loose connection between it and the ecu.

·
Registered
985 Posts
My truck is shifting really hard. 5 spd auto. It bumps pretty hard in all gears including reverse. Any ideas? Going to change fluid again. clean out pan and refill with Amsoil fluid. May throw some Lucas tranny fluid in too.
Sorry, but changing fluid is a long term thing, doesn't usually do much for this type problem.

·
Premium Member
12,625 Posts
is it a v6?

this for me will be one of the firsts i have seen of the v6 trans taking a poo.
maybe there are others but im not hip with it.

when you say slipping you mean what??? like a clutch burnt out in a manual?
if your trans is burnt in the way i know mine is right now, going into gears are like butter and it slips really bad also.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Check the color of the trans fluid when it comes out, somewhere on here somebody posted about a hole developing in the trans cooler and letting coolant mix with the tranny fluid. I don't think it's really common but a few have talked about having it happen. Only happens in the autos cause there's no trans cooler in the manuals. If the fluid looks like Pepto Bismol then you're gonna need a new transmission and trans cooler

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it's a V6. When driving normal ( by this I mean not having my foot inti the floor) It kinda hesitates when it shifts and then bumps into gear. I have 6 quarts of Amsoil so I'm gonna drop the pan and change it out. Also called Concord nisssan and the parts guy tells me that there is no Tranny filter. Is this true?

·
Registered
378 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, you can ONLY use the nissanmatic J fluid for the automatic transmissions. Anything else will damage the transmission. Check for codes and check your driveline before doing anything drastic. Also check to make sure your battery connections are tight.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
battery connections?

·
Registered
378 Posts
battery connections?
Yes, battery connections, I,ve seen some of the strangest things cleared up, simply by cleaning and tightening the battery connections. Remember, these vehicles today get receive and send their signals in millivolts and milliamps. Just a little too much resistance in a circuit, and everything goes haywire. It can't hurt.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, battery connections, I,ve seen some of the strangest things cleared up, simply by cleaning and tightening the battery connections. Remember, these vehicles today get receive and send their signals in millivolts and milliamps. Just a little too much resistance in a circuit, and everything goes haywire. It can't hurt.
+1!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, pretty funny though. I just put a new battery in last week. Old battery died. Maybe I should Plug the Cortex in and see if any codes

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holly sh!t. The Negative was loose. I will take her for a drive later after I put the dash back together and let you guys know.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, a little update. Took it for a spin and it is still shifting hard. I will drain the tranny fluid this week and drop the pan and check the screen for debris.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tranny slipping bad!

Alright, after talking to Andy with frighten, I went out and checked things over. When going to pull the lines off to do a flush with two buckets and over 120 dollars worth of Amsoil I found tranny fluid dripping from my frame. Long story short is I have tranny fluid in my entire coolant system and both tranny fluid from tranny and coolant from radiator are like PEPTO. So am I screwed or what?

Truck has 85000 on it. At this point I wish I traded it last year when I wanted to. Any sugestions? Been thinking of Titan VK swap after all a New radiator, new Tranny = 6000.00 Then have to flush the engine a ton of times and probably replace both pumps too.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Man that sucks! Yet another reason to do the Trans. cooler bypass at ~65,000 miles. What's bad is that most cars have a joined radiator / tranny cooler and I've only heared of these trucks having issues with the medal purfurating, but I may be wrong. Maybe Nissan will do something to help you out if you contact someone higher up the food chain? Good luck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update... Contacted Corporate Nissan today. They had me take truck to dealership and get it inspected. Keep fingers crossed maybe Nissan will show me some mercy.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Update... Contacted Corporate Nissan today. They had me take truck to dealership and get it inspected. Keep fingers crossed maybe Nissan will show me some mercy.
What a shame, maybe Nissan ought to man up and recall these faulty radiators. Seems they don't have a problem taking our hard earned dollars, and giving us something less in return. Hopefully they'll do the right thing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tranny milk shake

Here is a pic of the fluid.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.