Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What options do I have in regards to swapping out my automatic for a MT? 2001 3.3...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Probably a lot of work! You would need a donor MT Frontier. You would want the MT and you may need the matching transfercase depending on how they mount. The driveshafts could be different lengths as well. You will have to see if the clutch pedal and brackets will fit the AT truck. You may have to weld them in. The floor around the shift may have to be modified to accomate the shifter and boot. Hydraulic slave cylinder linkage will have to be added. Lots of work.

I did do this on a 1989 4runner once and it was not too bad as the 4runner automatics were rare and most of the parts went in easy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Soooo...you're telling me there's a chance! :laugh: Do you remember how long the swap was on the 4runner. Just curious.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I found a donor '87 4x4 pickup. Pulled the driveline. The Toyota's driveline had the auto tranny and transfercase as one assembly.

You will have to check wiring. Will the cpu work without an AT?
Will the crossmember mounting have to be swapped out?

Easiest is to compare two vehicles side by side for differences and parts interchangability.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i want to change my MT to AT! what a coincidence..ha. but i think that just might be a little too much work for me. but if i had the time and money we could just switch right up!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i want to change my MT to AT! what a coincidence..ha. but i think that just might be a little too much work for me. but if i had the time and money we could just switch right up!
That would be perfect. You said it best I believe. Time and money, why is that always the main issue for me...I just wanted to see my options and see if it was feasible. There is always next year yellow01 :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
I wonder about swapping in a chevy 350 with an NV4500 and transfercase?

At 146K, my 2001 fronty is only getting money spent on it to keep it running to 225K since it's paid for.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
Soooo...you're telling me there's a chance! :laugh: Do you remember how long the swap was on the 4runner. Just curious.
yes, there is a chance. OnlyOneDR took a 2wd and made it a 4x4.

best way to do it is to find a donor vehicle and buy it.
your going to need a lot of parts.
an engine swap is doable do, but you need to check local laws, some places wont allow it...

·
Registered
122 Posts
That would be perfect. You said it best I believe. Time and money, why is that always the main issue for me...I just wanted to see my options and see if it was feasible. There is always next year yellow01 :)
exactly!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts