Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, need some help here....

2004 2.4l w/ the 5 speed maunal tranny.

Problem: Gear whine with 1st 2nd 4th and 5th extremely hard to shift into.IE even with rev matching the gears grind..... with out rev matching and just pushing in the clutch it will not shift....

what i havent done yet: Check the gear oil level.

Is there anything else i can do before i go ahead and check oil level to help diagnos this?

thanks guys.

forgot to mention,

When the truck is sitting still engine on the tranny will shift with just the cluch pushed in. its harder then what it was before this issue though.

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
what's your mileage? stock clutch? is the clutch slipping after it goes into gear? fluid change and a clutch may fix this problem unless you've got a linkage or syncro problem

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truck has close to 90k on it. Stock clutch the cluch is not slipping. Ill do a drain and refill and I'll also look to see if I have an abnormal amount of metal shavings in the oil.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Just putting this out there, is there a pan in which you could drop and actually look at the gears? I'd assume with the "grinding" you are going to have shavings but I am not sure if an "abnormal" amount will be easily seen compared to a regular amount.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only way to look at the gears is to take the tranny apart for the M/T.

i expect some metal in the gear oil... but if the gear oil looks metallic then thats not normal. if thats what it looks like, im just gonna end up replaceing the entire tranny....

·
Registered
17,537 Posts
start with the trans fluid change and see how it looks. sounds like the pressure plate could be malfunctioning maybe? as in not pulling the clutch off the flywheel enough causing it to act as tho you don't have the clutch pedal pushed in enough... not sure tho. i don't see this being an internal transmission issue unless your bearings are shot or your internal linkage is messed up

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks HKYStormFront, ill go ahead and do that (gonna have to do it tomarrow when i get some time) looks like ill stay in in first gear to work... good thing its only a 1/2 mile drive at 15 to 25mph.....

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just drained the tranny.... i never though gear oil would be metalic.... I mean... it looked as if there was more metal shavings then oil in the tranny (drained about the spec amount of oil out)

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, im gonna crack open the case tomorrow and see what it looks like inside

1 - 10 of 10 Posts