Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I fell victim to the issue in my 06 with the transmission cooler leaking. The extended warranty that Nissan gave expired in 2014 from what the serevice manager showed me on the screen. The total was $6800 to replace the tranny and cooling system. Does the tranny need to be replaced or just flushed? I'm trying to decide on getting a new truck or just fix it. Anyone have to fix theirs?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
That price is way to high. I would go to an independent transmission shop And get another price. It would need to be replaced. Up here in NJ it is about 4500 With 5yr 100k warranty.

·
Registered
904 Posts
What’s the mileage on your truck, and how bad is the tranny since this started? If it’s still working maybe you could just flush and do the bypass to at least try. It would be worth a shot..

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
If the ATF looks like custard, flushing is probably not going to work. If there are just white streaks in the ATF, you may be okay. There have been some cases where flushing has worked. One of the problems with the cross-contaminated fluid is that it can get between the TCM and valve body and create shorts and shifting problems. In those cases, the valve body must be removed and have the TCM taken of so the "SMOD" can be thoroughly cleaned out. If you are going to flush, I would suggest you get Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF in the gallon jugs as it will be the cheapest option when it comes to fluid. To do it with quart bottles of genuine NissanMatic Type "J" or "S" ATF will cost a small fortune, comparatively! The price sounds about right for a Nissan dealer doing it with a genuine Nissan reman transmission, Nissan fluid and Nissan radiator, which is expensive in its own right. You might be able to get a later model, used transmission and an aftermarket radiator, instead, but a dealer likely wouldn't install it. An independent shop would and would offer some warranty if they procured the parts, which might be a little more than what you could find them for, but it would still be a lot cheaper than $6K. The RE5R05A is actually a good, reliable trans. Unfortunately, no automatic trans does well having engine coolant pumped into it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts