Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so bird season is a ways away, but what do you guys do to train you pointers? i have a german shorthair. shes like 14 months old. i dont not know completely what to do, i have some ideas but i thought i could see about advice on here.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i've been struggling with the same thing, i have a 2yr old golden retriever. She's fixed, the runt of the litter, she's afraid of trash cans and cowers on the 4th when fireworks abound. of course she also went running when i was shooting the bb pistol in the front yard. i had hoped to take her duck hunting, or maybe to flush some pheasants, but i'm afraid she's a little gun shy.

recommendation from a friend, start out with a bb gu while they are distracted (like eating a big juicy bone, then work up to a 22,and so forth)

once they have no problem with the gun noise, they should do ok for the pheasant hunting, just need to keep them close so when the birds get flushed they are within range

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would love to test my Labs I have a chocolate and yellow, both are males, neither fixed, one is slightly over a year and the other is 1.5yrs. Both are eager, and not afraid of noises. I have a friend who says that he would test and help me train if they are candidates but I just dont have the time.

·
Registered
602 Posts
also got a lab she is scared to death of thunderstorms but have been taking her hunting for 3 years and when i shoo the gun its fine but when alot of guns go off such as a dove hunt or a duck hunt where alot of people are set up to keep them flying she goes fool and starts barking if i have the shock collar( to control barely shock her more of a tool that when its on she knows i mean business) or if no collar runs around looking for everybody elses ducks ( at least most of the time she brings them back to me so on an off day i still get over my limit ;)) i am gonna go in a week or so tie her up to a tree next to me and shoot a few boxs of shells or even more till she stops if she doesnt i will keep on doing it everyday she will either stop or get worse if she gets worse she will be more of a after hunt dog to find the birds that where crippled rather then retrieving all of them..

edit: my first dog i have ever had. she does pretty well. when she was right around 2 she picked up 30+ ducks for me and my family one day at a pond we where hunting at she got in the swamp and was bringing me back crippled hens that i didnt even shoot someone else shot and they got away and i had to stop her and some i throw back because they could still swim and survive and i didnt want to bring out over our limit ..hawks ate good the next few days

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I have a 10 month old Black Lab(Maggie), and my Dad has a 3 year old black lab(Marlie). They are actually sisters from the same parents.
Maggie has never been hunting. I have her trained a little bit in retrieving using canvas dummies. She really likes it, loves to swim, and seems like a sharp dog in general.

Marlie has been a hunter since she was about 5 months when she got her first duck. She is very very sharp. Trained using whistles, hand signals, as well as the usual voice commands. example...say she is having a hard time finding the bird out in the field, just call her name and give a short blast on the whistle and Marlie will stop on a dime sit and look right at you. You can then use arm signals telling her to go left, right, forward, or back.

I would suggest going to this web page Home Page - Canvasback Pet Supplies and check out the hunting supply section. Also search for a book called 'gun dog' (its got a red cover) They also sell a very cool device that launches retrieving dummies using a .22 caliber shot. This has the advantage of getting the dummies out there a long ways, as well as getting the dog used to the loud gun noise.
Really I would say the big thing is to work your dog a lot. Pretty well every day. 10 minutes a day training will go a long way, and the dog will really love to do it's job.

·
Registered
78 Posts
okay so bird season is a ways away, but what do you guys do to train you pointers? i have a german shorthair. shes like 14 months old. i dont not know completely what to do, i have some ideas but i thought i could see about advice on here.
Glad to see a Fellow duck hunter in OREGON! I dont have a bird dog of my own yet but my uncle and I trained his from a pup. besides a good whistle to get her attention , the best thing for getting rid of her being gun shy was a .22 dummy launcher. We used this model from cabelas.

Cabela's -- Retrieve-R-Trainer

It worked great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
After having several pointing dogs and hunting my entire life behind pointings dogs I think I have a few good ideas.

First and formost you want to have the dog as obedient as possible. Concentrate on here/come and stay/woah. The woah(pronounced like NO with a "w") command should make the dog stop anywhere on command. I like to use a "check cord"(a long leash about 20'-30') You can buy but I prefere to make them out of an extension cord. I have found that extension cords do not hang up on brush or trees. Cut the ends off and add a clasp at one end to conect to dogs collar. The cord will give you the ability to control the dog to a degree. Never ever let the dog catch a bird until it is fully trained and experienced on pointing!

Start with any small game birds you can find or piegons(some game farms sell birds). Use rubber bands to prevent them from flight or pull their flight feathers so they can only fly for a short distance. Plant the bird in tall grass or some type of cover and work the dog into the wind to the bird while holding the checkcord. As soon as the dog smells the bird give it the command "WHOA" and make it stop and stand on point. Have a partner go in and kick around to flush the bird. Make the dog stand on point. Continue over and over util the dog begins to get the idea. Young dogs have short attention spans so 20 minutes at a time but you have to use your judgement. Watch the temp. The heat can easily kill a working dog. The key is to not give the dog a chance to do something wrong. Bad habits are hard to break. Make it as fun as you can and reward the dog with praise. Also use a dead bird as fun for retrieving drills after the pointing work is over. The bird is the prize for the dog but only after it has been pointed and shot/crippled. CONSISTENCE is key. Keep your anger under control, dogs will pick up on your mood, stay cooooool. Avoid any punishment around birds. Remeber, if your dog is running wild and you are calling it and it will not come.....then finally comes back and you beat it.....well then he thinks he is getting beat for coming back....that maybe the last time he comes back to you. If things are out of control and your are losing your temper...it is time to stop training until cooler heads prevail.

For retrieving drills use the water. Dogs sometimes don't like to bring a bird directly back to you. But when using water the dog must come out eventually. Stand back from shore a few feet and don't take the bird from the dog immediatly. Let him hold it and praise him. Then ask him to give you the bird. No tug o wars here. Do all your training in controled situations and remove distractions. Also try to use a fully broke(trained) as an example. Let hm watch, believe it or not they can learn this way also.

These are just a few broad strokes in training. Read a book to get more info and feel free to PM for more info.

Gun shy dogs......Hopefully you will not have this issue but start with small gauge guns and introduce them while the dog is having fun. Never force the issue. But most dogs that have grown up around people are generally acustome to loud noises. If your dog is guy shy or appears to be... go easy.
But most important is that you try and associate the birds with the shot. Make sure the dog sees the bird before you shoot. It may even be necessary to allow the dog to chase and catch a bird. Get him very excited about "the bird". So excited that he is not even thinking about the shot. Only the bird. Perhaps even start with a small gauge gun. If the dog is an aggressive eater. I mean really loves his food or a specific toy. You can take that into a field and throw it. While the dog is watching/chasing the toy, fire the gun. You must associate the noise with fun and work your way up. It is difficult. As always be positive and you can't force anything. Seeing a bird and letting a dog chase it, then shooting in the opposite direction with a small gauge. Then work yourself up.

Don't encourage the negative behavior. If the dog is acting gun shy don't pet and comfort him. That only tells him that he is acting in an appropriate manner. Don't reprimand him either. Kind of ignore him as best possible. Only reward positive behavior. You can pull the flight feathers from a pheasant and let it run and let the dog catch it(only use this tech. if the dog is guy shy). That should get the dog very excited. Then do it again but this time shoot. These are just some examples.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
visit Gun Dog Forum • Index page for my Brittany I worked her on a check cord and live birds to point, her retrieve came natural, however you can always work on a forced retrieve technique on a barrel and cord. Use that forum, lots a knowledge to be had in the gun dog sports. Im also on there with the same screen name. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
visit Gun Dog Forum • Index page for my Brittany I worked her on a check cord and live birds to point, her retrieve came natural, however you can always work on a forced retrieve technique on a barrel and cord. Use that forum, lots a knowledge to be had in the gun dog sports. Im also on there with the same screen name. Good luck.

Looks exactly like my Brittany (Tucker).... Wonderful dogs.

·
Registered
431 Posts
if you have the cash there are places you can drop your dog off for a month or so and when you get it back its one bad *** bird dog, my buddy did it and it worked great but i think it was 2 or 3 g's. i've also heard of weekend seminars you can attend with your dog for a lot less cash.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
if you have the cash there are places you can drop your dog off for a month or so and when you get it back its one bad *** bird dog, my buddy did it and it worked great but i think it was 2 or 3 g's. i've also heard of weekend seminars you can attend with your dog for a lot less cash.
Ten to fifteen minutes a day will also get you one bad *** bird dog, and it won't cost you anything but your own time.

·
Registered
431 Posts
i wouldn't drop the cash on it myself but he did it and has no regrets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts