Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Trailer wiring

15K views 118 replies 10 participants last post by  wjjones 
#1 ·
1. Which side does the converter go vehicle, or trailer?
Heard mention somewhere of the 3 relays behind the kick panel. 2.Somewhere it seems like I read At does not need the brown relay, and MT does?

#2 ·
there’s three relays in the passenger side kick panel, two blue one brown, not really sure what they do, probably lights and power or something. Then there’s a wiring harness that connects to the plugs on your truck in the back (under the bed) and gives you a 7 (or 4) pin trailer connector.

There’s kits you can buy on etrailer or just amazon that include all the parts and instructions.

#3 ·
That's the kit I bought it's my understanding that to work correctly it needs a 3 wire to 2 wire converter. Also I can't remember which the automatic, or manual tranny doesn't require the brown relay that goes behind the kick panel. As to why I'm not sure.

#5 ·
Yep that's the way it has been setup for over a year now. It's the fact that the left turn/ brake light stays on all the time even when the truck is shutoff. It started about 7 or 8 weeks ago. Left light on landscape trailer stays on constantly, and the boat trailer does the same.

#20 ·
Story goes we bought a boat that had bad trailer lights. I wasn't aware of the bad lights. It started after I towed that boat home. I checked the boat trailer rear left light, and it had arked bad enough to burn one of the contacts off. Question is what would have been affected on the truck tow plug side. All the truck lights, and the right side of the trailer work normal.

#35 ·
So then, the actual lighting circuit is normal. The BCM output is possibly shorted or it could be getting an improper signal from the " Combination controller" . Is that the switch in the steering column?
If you can unplug it then that might eliminate the BCM . Your schematic is most helpful!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.