Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Frontier 2wd king cab
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Which side does the converter go vehicle, or trailer?
Heard mention somewhere of the 3 relays behind the kick panel. 2.Somewhere it seems like I read At does not need the brown relay, and MT does?

·
Registered
34 Posts
there’s three relays in the passenger side kick panel, two blue one brown, not really sure what they do, probably lights and power or something. Then there’s a wiring harness that connects to the plugs on your truck in the back (under the bed) and gives you a 7 (or 4) pin trailer connector.

There’s kits you can buy on etrailer or just amazon that include all the parts and instructions.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there’s three relays in the passenger side kick panel, two blue one brown, not really sure what they do, probably lights and power or something. Then there’s a wiring harness that connects to the plugs on your truck in the back (under the bed) and gives you a 7 (or 4) pin trailer connector.

There’s kits you can buy on etrailer or just amazon that include all the parts and instructions.
That's the kit I bought it's my understanding that to work correctly it needs a 3 wire to 2 wire converter. Also I can't remember which the automatic, or manual tranny doesn't require the brown relay that goes behind the kick panel. As to why I'm not sure.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
That's the kit I bought it's my understanding that to work correctly it needs a 3 wire to 2 wire converter. Also I can't remember which the automatic, or manual tranny doesn't require the brown relay that goes behind the kick panel. As to why I'm not sure.
Your over thinking this. You need the relay wire set plugged into the kick panel. 3 relays on a pigtail. Doesn't matter AT or MT. Just plug it in. Then in the back there are 2 covered plugs. If you use a 4 pin you only use one of the plugs with the connector pictured below. If 7 pin, then you'll use both plugs.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep that's the way it has been setup for over a year now. It's the fact that the left turn/ brake light stays on all the time even when the truck is shutoff. It started about 7 or 8 weeks ago. Left light on landscape trailer stays on constantly, and the boat trailer does the same.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your over thinking this. You need the relay wire set plugged into the kick panel. 3 relays on a pigtail. Doesn't matter AT or MT. Just plug it in. Then in the back there are 2 covered plugs. If you use a 4 pin you only use one of the plugs with the connector pictured below. If 7 pin, then you'll use both plugs.
You are right Jameson over at etrailer confirmed the t-1 requires no converter.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's just possible that this is symptomatic of the famous "crossed wiring syndrome" in the small plug. See the sticky in Towing Forum.
It's a flat 4 not sure on that one it was wired for over a year before this started.
Tire Land vehicle Plant Car Wheel
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like bright, too. So will it ever blink? I mean, there's no 12v hot wire in the 4-flat plug, so it's coming on the left directional signal wire, right??
Yes, and it won't blink/ flash either the other side work's normal.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Story goes we bought a boat that had bad trailer lights. I wasn't aware of the bad lights. It started after I towed that boat home. I checked the boat trailer rear left light, and it had arked bad enough to burn one of the contacts off. Question is what would have been affected on the truck tow plug side. All the truck lights, and the right side of the trailer work normal.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts