Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy with questions already. Just last week I bought the 4 pin harness adapter for my 09 Frontier, I went boat shopping this weekend and the boat I'm interested in has a 5 pin connector, I called the dealer to see if I could return the adapter I bought and he said they don't return wiring and I would have to buy a whole new kit and they don't just sell the 7 pin harness that goes from the frame conenctors to the hitch. Is this true that I have to buy a whole new kit? I guess if I have to I'll buy the new kit and try to sell the other on fleabay.

Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
I believe on nissan's site you can buy the wiring harness for these trucks, its a 7 pin and its not real expensive and then you could get a 7 to 4 adapter.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
so you already have the 7 pin tow package right? and you bought a 7 to 4 pin adapter. and now your trailer has a 5 pin, so all you really need is a 7 to 5 pin adapter, right?

if you're not buying the whole wiring kit, dont bother with the dealer. you can get the adapters for way cheaper at ebay or autozone or the like. if it doesnt have nissan writing all over the packaging, maybe you can even swap one for one at autozone and tell them you bought the wrong one but unfortunately lost the receipt....

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
He bought the 4-pin harness originally. The trailer for the boat he wants is a 5-pin. What he needs is the 7-pin harness so he can get a 7-pin to 5-pin adapter. Nissan will not let him return the 4-pin harness and relays because it's "wiring". He's asking if it's possible to just buy the part for the 7-pin setup that goes at the back of the truck and not have to pay for the relays again.

Simple answer is, no, you can't buy just the part that goes from the frame connectors to the hitch. Easiest thing for you to do if you can't get Nissan to take back the 4-pin setup is to completely uninstall it and all the relays and sell it on here and just go ahead and buy the 7-pin package.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He bought the 4-pin harness originally. The trailer for the boat he wants is a 5-pin. What he needs is the 7-pin harness so he can get a 7-pin to 5-pin adapter. Nissan will not let him return the 4-pin harness and relays because it's "wiring". He's asking if it's possible to just buy the part for the 7-pin setup that goes at the back of the truck and not have to pay for the relays again.

Simple answer is, no, you can't buy just the part that goes from the frame connectors to the hitch. Easiest thing for you to do if you can't get Nissan to take back the 4-pin setup is to completely uninstall it and all the relays and sell it on here and just go ahead and buy the 7-pin package.
You are correct, I have the 4 pin set up and need the 7 pin and I can't return the 4 pin, so I guess I'll have to buy the 7 pin set up, thanks

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
You are correct, I have the 4 pin set up and need the 7 pin and I can't return the 4 pin, so I guess I'll have to buy the 7 pin set up, thanks
When you take the 4-pin off, put it up for sell on here so you can get some of your money back on it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I had a old 4 pin from an xterra. I bought a 7 pin for my frontier and spliced the 4 pin into the wiring.... now I have both depending on what I need and dont need an adapter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a old 4 pin from an xterra. I bought a 7 pin for my frontier and spliced the 4 pin into the wiring.... now I have both depending on what I need and dont need an adapter
Thats a good idea, since it's easy to get to under the truck, instead of splicing I can just leave the one I'm not using unplugged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
this is davie1973....i have 2005 frontier. and having lot problems.....uhaul set up truck for a 4 pin plug for my custom trailer....running lights work,brake lights work. but when i turn the turn signal on, then it stops working....i took off ground for that signal light and it works. what can i do........thanks davie1973

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
this is davie1973....i have 2005 frontier. and having lot problems.....uhaul set up truck for a 4 pin plug for my custom trailer....running lights work,brake lights work. but when i turn the turn signal on, then it stops working....i took off ground for that signal light and it works. what can i do........thanks davie1973
Get rid of the U-haul wiring and buy the Nissan wiring harness. Mine did the same thing with U-haul stuff and eventually blew a fuse. Took it off put on the Nissan harness and have been trouble free ever since. The truck is pre-wired for the Nissan harness all you have to do is plug in a couple of relays and then plug in the harness and mount it.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
This is going to sound bad but don't you wish you joined this forum before your unfortunate trip to Uhaul which as fubared your truck?

You may find it useful to search thru some other threads in relation to trailer wiring and you will find a ton of info.

You will find that if you do not use the OEM set-up with the relays, you will burn wires, short the BCM and possibly even burn-up the brake light housings. On top of all of that, the lights may work for a little bit but then you start to experience the issues that you have now.

I would try and take it back to Uhaul that did the work and ask them what is wrong. Maybe they will admit it is their fault and fix it or they will just play dumb.

The best case scenero is that you get the OEM set-up with relays and you luck out and nothing is fubared. Worst case is that you need the oem set-up and a new BCM and possibly 2 new taillights and the possibility of new wires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
'05 Nismo Frontier

Installed a hitch on my truck and also the 7/4 pin jack...plugged in at the frame jack...this was 6 months ago.

Yesterday I bought a trailer, plugged in 4 pin, only to find out that only the brakes/turn signal/flasher light up. Spent an hour tracing the factory harness...make sure it wasn't loose somewhere...check fuses...all is well...I think'n WTF.

Got on the computer came to the forum, and as always I found the correct information I needed!

Bought the 7pin harness with relays from West Covina Nissan. thenismoshop.com $60.00 + $9.00 shipping.

Thanks for the great posts!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts