Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Big Tex 60CH open trailer this week. It uses a 6way round plug.

I bought the necessary adapter that inserts into my Frontier's oem 7 way plug and allows me to plug the trailer's 6 way wiring plug.

When I plug the 3 wiring components together here is what I get:
* (GOOD) brake lights on the trailer work properly when the brakes are applied on the truck
* (GOOD) both left and right turn signals on the trailer work correctly when the stalk on the steering column is moved up or down.
* (BAD) the electric brakes on the trailer lock so tight that it is impossible to move/pull the trailer without literally dragging it with the wheels locked. The electric brakes are applied on the trailer, regardless if the brakes on the truck are being used or not.

Regarding the runaway trailer brake system....
* The plunger that senses when the trailer has come loose is still intact
* I presume the battery is dead since its been sitting for so long
(FWIW: I do not have a brake controller on the truck)

When you unplug the trailer wiring from the truck, the electric brakes are deactivated and the trailer will move freely (like normal).

Any ideas why the those electric brakes are erroneously being activated and how I can get them to work correctly?

TIA

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
give this a go ...

"The six pin connector has two different ways of being wired. One way uses the center pin for elec. brakes, the other way uses the center pin for 12v power. All other pins are the same in both cases. Your 7 to 6 pin adapter generally has a way to change these two pins if you take it apart."

ripped from another forum ..

should help ..

d-mo

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
If you don't have a brake controller yet how would the trailer know what input it should be sending out? When connected now, it may by deafault apply the brakes by lack of signal.
Once you have a controller in the it's vital to know how to accurately adjust it.
I would try adding the controller first and see if they are still energized to full lock.

Clint

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
D-mo: thanks for the lead

I did some google seaching after reading your post and I guess its fairly common to have 2 ways to wire up a 6way plug. I'll be taking it (my adapter) apart tonight to inspect, and reconfigure it.

Thanks!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.