Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is only power to light up the marker lights, neither signal works or brakes. just wondering where to start, the only thing i can think of is the relay? i installed the tow kit myself with no issues as of about a month ago. is there any fuses that would cause this action? any info would be much appreciated

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Did you get the tow kit from Nissan?
Search "trailer lights", lots of headache stories regarding this topic.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i did get the factory kit from nissan. i will have a search around and see what i can find. i checked the 10 amp towing fuse and it was fine and all the lights on the truck work so i figured the fuses for the turn signals were all good.

·
Super Moderator
19,932 Posts
i did get the factory kit from nissan. i will have a search around and see what i can find. i checked the 10 amp towing fuse and it was fine and all the lights on the truck work so i figured the fuses for the turn signals were all good.
If all of your fuses and relays for the trailer tow circuit, your BCM might be the problem.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you think a hack job on the trailer wiring could fry the bcm? i just bought an old boat with a trailer, couldnt get the lights on the trailer to work at all, which is where the problem was found, but my newer flat deck worked before and now only has the running lights. everything else on the truck seems to be working fine, i have been driving with no issues at all.

·
Super Moderator
19,932 Posts
do you think a hack job on the trailer wiring could fry the bcm? i just bought an old boat with a trailer, couldnt get the lights on the trailer to work at all, which is where the problem was found, but my newer flat deck worked before and now only has the running lights. everything else on the truck seems to be working fine, i have been driving with no issues at all.
I recall reading at least one thread where a hack job of some sort fried a BCM. Just check all of your fuses, fusible links and relays to make sure none of them are the cause.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hello Guys,

I have got to tell you all,get rid of all trailer lights that have bulbs they are old technology!!!!

If you must stay with bulbs take time to run ground wire from each light to the white wire Ground!!!

DO NOT USE A SCREW OR FRAME OF TRAILER FOR GROUNDING LIGHTS!!!

DO NOT USE CRIMP CONNECTIONS OF ANY TYPE,THEY ARE AND WILL BE A POSSIBLE PROBLEM!!!!

THEY RUST AND CAUSE INTERMITTENT PROBLEMS THAT CAN BLOW BCM!

Solder all connections the first time and heat shrink all connections!!

Yes I know it takes time, but done correct once will be the end of your problems!!!

I have changed my boat,5x8,6x14 trailers to LEDS,with each LED connected with 2 wires,hot wire and ground to main white wire.

EVERY time I back up to one of my trailers I know my lights will work!!!

No bulbs to ever replace,no intermittent light problems!!

Well worth the investment one time and no aggrevation for a long time to come!

Make sure when you re-wire your trailer that all your lights are the proper color for their location, amber marker lights on the side to out line you trailer, and red only on tail end of trailer.

Make sure you meet your states requirements.

Happy trailering with no problems from lights.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would bet that the fusible link for the trailer lights is blown. I blew mine when I hooked up my trailer brake controller. PITA to find one in my area, had to have it ordered.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can you tell me where to find this fusable link? i'm still having issues with this.

thanks for the info on LED etc. i had just bought this boat and was about to tow it home and when i plugged it in the lights flashed and then went out. i'll be rewiring the trailer before i hook up to it again for sure but i need to get this sorted so i can still haul my flat deck

·
Registered
146 Posts
It is in the larger fuse box under the hood, toward the front (separate from the fuse block). There are two 3 place fusible links, one is 40/30/50 and one is 30/30/40 I think. It could be the center fusible link in either of the sets. You have to replace them all if one is blown, so check them out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks, i found them. they didnt look blown to me so im back to the BCM. anyone know how to test one? im guessing a test light and finding the correct wires? im looking at the schematic for it and its showing battery > fusible link > bcm (end) and fuse > rh or lh signal relay > BCM (end) and trailer. i guess i'll see if i can get power out of the BCM relay wires (51 lh, 52 rh) and that will tell me if the BCM is shot i guess.

im guessing the relays are the ones in the passenger kick panel? or the ones under the hood?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i havent had a chance. been working and my gf's computer took a **** so i have been playing with that. i still have running lights so i have a feeling the trailer turn relays or that part of the BCM are pooched. im leaning towards the bcm unfortunately

·
Registered
146 Posts
Be sure you check the fusible links closely. Mine didn't look blown either just looking at it from the top, but when I popped the cover off to try to wiggle it, one of the links was burned right below where you could see. Otherwise, I don't know what else to tell you to check out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so i finally had a chance to get at this. the fusible link and the 10amp fuse are both good. i tested everything i could get at. i have power for the lights but the signals/brakes dont work which is leading me to believe a bad BCM.

the problem i have with this is that there is no fuse between the trailer plug and the BCM. seems to be a major design flaw as any bad connection can blow the BCM. unless theres a mystery fuse somewhere? i read there was one in the steering column but i have only seen that in one post and not in any diagrams yet.

has anyone added fuses inline from the rear harness? it wouldnt be a bad idea in my eyes and will most likely do it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Still have the same issue with mine- checked everything also- did notice my cab brake light is out also. Will be going to the shop next Monday anyway for other problems will have this repaired. Update if you come up with something.

·
Super Moderator
11,396 Posts
Still have the same issue with mine- checked everything also- did notice my cab brake light is out also. Will be going to the shop next Monday anyway for other problems will have this repaired. Update if you come up with something.
Has to be a bad fuse for that light.

Clint

1 - 20 of 65 Posts