Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 Extended Cab 4X4 bought December 24th adn want to add a hitch. I looked at Hidden Hitches but they will only go for like 4,000 pounds, not the 5,000 pounds the Frontier is rated for.

What do I need for a wiring harness? I guess while I'm putting one on I'd go for the harness that can do brake control on the trailer being pulled.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
578 Posts
i put a reece universal hitch on mine and it works fine. i don't know about wiring though

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump for some more opinions and help with wiring options.

·
Super Moderator
11,075 Posts
Bump for some more opinions and help with wiring options.
I put aftermarket on both my first generation frontiers. The next two have the factory hitch and harness and think they are better. It's better to just plug and play versus cutting the harness.
First gen are 4 wire setups.

Clint

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by plug and play and 4 wire? Sorry but I'm just learning. Can I have a 7 wire so as to control braking on a trailer?

·
Super Moderator
11,075 Posts
What do you mean by plug and play and 4 wire? Sorry but I'm just learning. Can I have a 7 wire so as to control braking on a trailer?
By plug and play I mean you seperate a connection under the bed and connnect the trailer wires. If I remember correctly the seven pin wasn't available. One thing I do remember was the total amp draw was low and my trailer would blow my fuses. I changed all the lights on my trailer to LED's as they draw one tenth the electricity and can't blow a fuse. Your truck doesn't have the wiring harness under the dash to wire a brake controller. It started with the 2005 models and forward.

Clint

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I got a u-haul hitch on mine. Works great so far. and I'll see if I can find the link to the "plug and play" wiring piece you need for electric. VERY simple.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...ext=&categoryDisplayName=Towing&parentId=72-0

Hope that link works. If not... go to Autozone.com, enter your vehicle, go to Towing and then Trailer Wire Connector. The part is the Hopkins / Trailer Wire Connector (it'll say that it is "plug-in simple")

·
Super Moderator
11,075 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
I have U-Haul also, but mine is square. Get the wire harness from the dealership. It just plugs in. Your choice 4 pin or 7. I chose the 7, in case I ever needed brakes, and picked up a 4 pin adapter.

I also cut a hole in the bumper beside the tag for the harness so it wouldn't hang below the bumper.

·
Super Moderator
11,075 Posts
I have U-Haul also, but mine is square. Get the wire harness from the dealership. It just plugs in. Your choice 4 pin or 7. I chose the 7, in case I ever needed brakes, and picked up a 4 pin adapter.

I also cut a hole in the bumper beside the tag for the harness so it wouldn't hang below the bumper.

Your plug relocation looks great. Nissan should put it there from the beginning.

Clint

·
Registered
250 Posts
I did a lot of research over the internet on hitch for our trucks. I found taht to get the better of our truck, Curt's hitch offer us a 500 tongue 5000lbs total, and a great 800tongue 8000 total with weight distribution device. Reese also make one, but I prefer Curt's because tow bar hole is open, so if there is any dirt/snow on it, you will be able to insert it without trouble, and hitch' ends are covered, so no dirt inside.

For electrical (lights, brakes) get the original connectors: Everything is relay and fuse protected, and nothing to do other than plug and play!!!
If you wanna get a brake copntroller, at least get a innertial brake controller, time controller don't give you initial power, are harder on our brakes, and give a big "hit" when complettly stopping or releasing brake pedal. It's a lot more confortable with a well set innertial brake controller.

That's my view.

Also, be sure to have a correct draw bar for every trailler you have: it's inportant that trailer stay leveled after setting ball. A too high or too low tongue can get you into trouble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts