Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

As some of you may have seen, I recently purchased a used LEER Cap/Topper for my truck. I am in the process of figuring out the 3rd brake light and some interior leds.

My truck came w/ an OEM hitch and a 7-pin Harness (w/ relays). I would like to tie-in a piggyback harness between the Truck's pre-wiring and the Hitch's 7-Pin Harness wiring. This way I can pull the brake signal and 12v for interior LEDs (w/ fuse and switch).

To do this, I would need another set of connectors, both the Nissan Truck side and the 7-pin Harness side.

Does anyone know where I would get these other then seeing if a junkyard has a truck that I can cut them off of?

I am looking for a cost effective solution, not a buy new and cut-up solution.

Thank You

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If yours came with the 7 pin, i would craw under there and see if the plug for the 4 pin is there. Mine has 2 frame mounted plugs, one for a 7 pin and one for a 4 pin. You could use the 4 pin one and just remove the 4 pin end.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good call. I was under the impression that our trucks were set-up to use only one, the 7 or the 4 depending on the hitch harness we purchased. I seem to remember that 07LE did a set-up with both the 4 and 7 but I thought he had to do some splicing to achieve that. I guess I have some research to do.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
When I had my shell, the place I bought it from just wire tapped the driver side brake light wire going to the taillight. Is there a reason you want to go thru all this effort with the trailer wiring when the end result is the same? Just seems like a lot of extra cost and effort to me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you tap into the trailer harness, wouldn't you have that brake light flash with your turn signals? The truck side wiring is separate, but trailer side i thought brake/turn was combined, 1 for each side.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I had my shell, the place I bought it from just wire tapped the driver side brake light wire going to the taillight. Is there a reason you want to go thru all this effort with the trailer wiring when the end result is the same? Just seems like a lot of extra cost and effort to me.
I just got a shell and this is my plan to wire up the 3rd brake light. The taillight seems like the easy way rather than into the trailer harness.

Later this year I'll be adding LED strips under the bed rails. They will be switched near the tailgate but I'd like them to be always hot even without having the key in the ignition or switching on the bed light. I haven't determined how/where to grab power from for those yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts