Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new to the site and to towing a boat but may have made a trade at the wrong time.
I had a 2012 Nissan Titan which I thought was overkill for what I needed in a truck.

So I traded for a 2014 Frontier Pro4X and love this little beast.
However we had a chance on a boat and made the leap in purchasing a 1995 194 SEi Larson Bow rider.

It's a stern drive with a 4.3 L Mercruiser and with gear full tank of gas and the weight of the trailer comes in just a shade under 4000 pounds.

Now I'm wondering if I need the Titan back or will my Frontier survive the weight.

Also I hear weight numbers all over the map in respect to trailer brakes.
Thinking I should probably get surge breaks installed.

We tow for the most part 25 KM. to a local ramp never on a major highway and never over 80 km. per hour.

Comments advice appreciated

·
Registered
55 Posts
I tow a WinnieMinnie 24’ RV trailer with mine. It has trailer brakes on the RV and I make use of them. That said, it’s at least as much weight as your boat fully loaded and I have zero issue pulling or stopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,831 Posts
The Frontier is prewired from the driver's footwell to the back end of the frame for a controller, just get a controller and the correct pigtail wiring harnesses at each end and you're set.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I believe the wires being pre-wired is dependent on having the trailer towing package. Or the Value Truck Package. I have a brake controller on my truck and it helps for certain. Stock Frontier brakes are not the best so you need trailer brakes for all but the smallest trailer. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I know my Frontier had a hitch and a transmission cooler but otherwise uncertain as to a towing package.

I was quite surprised at requiring a complete brake job at 35k on the truck as it seemed low mileage.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I know my Frontier had a hitch and a transmission cooler but otherwise uncertain as to a towing package.

I was quite surprised at requiring a complete brake job at 35k on the truck as it seemed low mileage.
I think most (if not all Frontiers) come with a tranny cooler but if you have a factory hitch then you should be pre-wired for a brake controller.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It's a boat trailer. If it has brakes, they will be surge. Electric brakes and boat trailers are not generally a good mix. There are only a few unicorn boat trailers with electric brakes, and those are generally electric over hydraulic. A very rare beast. There is no need for a brake controller on surge brakes, there is simply nothing for them to control.

As for towing a 4k trailer, no problem. Well within the rated capacity of the V6. Only slightly over the rated capacity of the I4. No need for a Titan for such a little trailer.

Even if the trailer has no brakes at all (my 16' boat on a tandem axle trailer has none) it can be fine. You just can't drive like an idiot. A little extra care, downshift the transmission to get some engine braking, it will be fine.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
With boat trailer brakes being surge brakes you need to apply brake pressure so that the weight shifts to the front, this will activate the brakes.

If you find it squats for than you want, get some air bags. I love mine. Perfect for towing.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
In this state, (Arizona), i believe that brakes are required over 5000 lbs but I would advise them for about 1000 lbs. My trailer has a GVWR of 3635 lbs and I got brakes on it and got my controller at Etrailer.com.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In this state, (Arizona), i believe that brakes are required over 5000 lbs but I would advise them for about 1000 lbs. My trailer has a GVWR of 3635 lbs and I got brakes on it and got my controller at Etrailer.com.
In Iowa they're required for anything over 3000 lbs. What controller did you end up getting from Etrailer?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts