Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago, I had new (larger, 33") tires put on my truck and the Nitto LTs required that the air pressure to be upped to 45. Long story short, the TPMS obviously didn't like this. So I went to the dealer, had the ECU reprogrammed to 45psi and bingo! No light, no problems until now....I recently had an intake installed and disconnected the battery to have it done and I was on my way home on a cold morning and soon as I got on the freeway the light came on! I got all of the tires where they need to be and the light is still on! Is it possible that by disconnecting the battery that the ecu went back to its stock psi settings? What should I do? Take it back to the dealer and have them check it? Disconnect the battery and try reseting it myself? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I run 50psi in my nittos and have not had anything re-programmed... It is fine... Your dealer took your money for no reason. The light doesn't go on for high pressure, only low.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i would think the only reason you would want it reprogrammed is if you don't know how to check your own tire pressure after getting tires that take more pressure and you want the light to come on at a higher pressure. i would be nice if they would program them lower so that when you air down the stupid annoying light doesnt come on, its so bright. that thing is more noticeable than most of the other warning lights lol. but yeah it was my understanding that the only setting that is programed is when the ecu sees them sending signal saying your below a programed psi then the light goes on. didnt' think there were any provisions for higher pressures

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Actually, the tpms has both a high and low limit. I believe the low is something like 28 and the high is around 68psi.

I do agree that the dealer was just taking your money for "resetting" the tpms.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not sure what the highest pressure setting is. I have E rated toyo's on my truck. The light went on temporarly when I upgraded my tires from stock to Toyo's but it turned off shortly after the upgrade. A year later I took a trip to yellowstone national park, on the return route I bumped up my pressure to 60 psi. Several hundred miles later my light came on. I checked the pressure and all four tires were at 60 psi equally. Since then I droped the pressure back to 35 psi but the light remains lit......drives me nuts......I checked repeatedly and there is no pressure loss. the spare is also at 35 psi.
Before going on the trip I aired up the tires to 50 psi and no light for approximately 2000 miles. I wish there was a solution to end this once and for all. I even considered removing the gauge cluster and pulling the light out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts