Nissan Frontier Forum banner

TPMS Relearn Procedure?

10K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  bngn4X 
#1 ·
So I removed my winter tires and rims from my truck and installed the OE tires and rims. TPMS reads the sensors fine and the light is out but the tire locations are not correct as indicated on the instrument cluster. What is the relearn procedure to get the sensors to read the correct position?

#5 ·
Could be part of the reason most offer that as a freebie when buying. I mean, if the system tells you its low, you're going to go look around at your tires and find the right one anyway.
Another thing is, most 'rotations' are just back to front, front to back, so at least you'd know if it's on the right or left side.

#7 ·
I used my Autel programmer to change mine when I swapped to the Nismo wheels. They have not yet updated, or at least hadn't as of a few months ago, for the 3.8 motor to be programmed directly via the OBD port. However I simply told it it was a 2019 with a 4.0, plugged it in, and it programmed just fine.

Other tire places miiiiight be able to do it but I would guess they will tell you to go to the dealer as most of them use Autels and will be unlikely to try using the programmer set to 2019 when programming a 2022. They are just going to assume it can't be done outside the dealer.

So basically get an Autel programmer or go to the dealer. Those are ultimately your options. An Autel programmer is nice to have and should last you a super long time, I have a TS501 which is currently available on Amazon for $200 - be sure to click the thing to add the $25 off. Autel units are the ones most commonly used because they work with basically every brand of sensor, and their own MX sensors are great because they can be infinitely reprogrammed and work on all common frequencies across brands.

#9 ·
Happened to stumble upon this. Haven't yet verified if it'll work for the '22

#16 ·
There is software out there to communicate Nissan Datascan/Carista/Torque/Uprev. However, I haven't found a single one to access TPMS, only BCM and ECU for actual adjustments.

#20 ·
I don't think there is a way around this unfortunately, it requires a TPMS programmer. The third gen lacks a built in tpms program method like the second gen.

I don't know if it's the result of regulations or what but most new cars seem to be this way, TPMS must be programmed via OBDII using a programmer.

If you don't want to buy one you can always ask discount tire to take a look. I'm not a fan at all of their stores but they do program these for free. Just like I said I'm not sure if their programmers are updated yet to do gen 3.

Also I remember what I did now, I told it it was a Rogue Sport, not a Frontier, because they used the 433mhz sensors like the 2022 Frontier. It doesn't matter if the actual model doesn't match; for TPMS programming the car only needs two things - brand and frequency (which is determined by model). All the TPMS computer actually stores is the sensor codes - the code type determines 315mhz vs 433mhz. I remember now trying to program it as a 2019 didn't actually work because it switched the MX sensors into 315mhz mode not 433mhz mode.

So tell the programmer it's a Nissan that uses 433mhz sensors, which is most newerish ones, then scan the sensors and program via OBDII. The car doesn't care you told it the wrong model, all choosing a model does is tell it what frequency to expect. You could tell it it was a Versa and it wouldn't matter so long as the model year Versa you chose uses 433mhz sensors. Maybe Autel has since pushed an update and you won't have to do that. It's been several months so they very well might have.

Yes, it's all a bit silly.

#21 ·
After reading through this thread I feel pretty dang lucky.

When I put winter tires on steel rims last fall I had the dealer do it and I purchased a set of OEM sensors from them to install in the new wheels.

Now I've put my stock rims and summer tires back on (with factory sensors still installed) and I fully expected to have to go down to a tire shop and have sensors re-linked, but I didn't. After a short drive the sensors re-linked themselves. And maybe it's a fluke but they even picked up the locations correctly.

I don't know exactly what this means - maybe my dealer just cloned the factory sensors as opposed to setting the winter rims up as new ones, that would explain the automatic re-linking but it seems unlikely that I put the sensors back in their correct positions; or maybe the system is just that smart and it detected the sensors and their distances from the brain to recalibrate the system automatically. Or maybe a tire gnome came and fixed it from me while I was sleeping.

I don't know. It's a mystery to me.

But I was pretty pumped that it worked out the way it did because now I know I can flip back and forth between wheel sets without having to worry about setting up sensors every time.

#30 ·
Resurrecting this thread…I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier and I got a killer deal on a set of stock ‘22 frontier wheel and tire set. Didn’t know it at the time of the frequency change in 2021 and now the newer wheels have 433mhz but my car is programmed for 315mhz. So my question is can the Nissan dealership change the frequency to search for? My plan is to use the older wheels with snow tires and I can deal with the light being on for 3 months of the year but was hoping the other 9 months to not see it.
Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can provide.