Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
After reading through this thread I feel pretty dang lucky.

When I put winter tires on steel rims last fall I had the dealer do it and I purchased a set of OEM sensors from them to install in the new wheels.

Now I've put my stock rims and summer tires back on (with factory sensors still installed) and I fully expected to have to go down to a tire shop and have sensors re-linked, but I didn't. After a short drive the sensors re-linked themselves. And maybe it's a fluke but they even picked up the locations correctly.

I don't know exactly what this means - maybe my dealer just cloned the factory sensors as opposed to setting the winter rims up as new ones, that would explain the automatic re-linking but it seems unlikely that I put the sensors back in their correct positions; or maybe the system is just that smart and it detected the sensors and their distances from the brain to recalibrate the system automatically. Or maybe a tire gnome came and fixed it from me while I was sleeping.

I don't know. It's a mystery to me.

But I was pretty pumped that it worked out the way it did because now I know I can flip back and forth between wheel sets without having to worry about setting up sensors every time.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

When I put winter tires on steel rims last fall I had the dealer do it and I purchased a set of OEM sensors from them to install in the new wheels.

Now I've put my stock rims and summer tires back on (with factory sensors still installed) and I fully expected to have to go down to a tire shop and have sensors re-linked, but I didn't. After a short drive the sensors re-linked themselves. And maybe it's a fluke but they even picked up the locations correctly.

I don't know exactly what this means - maybe my dealer just cloned the factory sensors as opposed to setting the winter rims up as new ones, that would explain the automatic re-linking but it seems unlikely that I put the sensors back in their correct positions; or maybe the system is just that smart and it detected the sensors and their distances from the brain to recalibrate the system automatically. Or maybe a tire gnome came and fixed it from me while I was sleeping.

But I was pretty pumped that it worked out the way it did because now I know I can flip back and forth between wheel sets without having to worry about setting up sensors every time.
Ive been driving the truck for a few days since I put the summer tires back on. I'm going to check if they "learned" their position.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ive been driving the truck for a few days since I put the summer tires back on. I'm going to check if they "learned" their position.
I have no idea how it happened and it's theoretically possible that it's a fluke but mine seems to have done it automatically..

I operating on the assumption that my dealer cloned the replacement set instead of creating them a new separate sensors..

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have no idea how it happened and it's theoretically possible that it's a fluke but mine seems to have done it automatically..

I operating on the assumption that my dealer cloned the replacement set instead of creating them a new separate sensors..
I know that some TPMS systems have a ability to store another set of sensor. New Toyota's can do it.

·
Registered
296 Posts

They cloned the sensors for sure. The Frontier can only hold one set of sensor codes.

Reactions: QuesoDelDiablo

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
They cloned the sensors for sure. The Frontier can only hold one set of sensor codes.
I just checked the position of my sensor and they are in the correct position. When I first put them on and aired them up they were showing different locations. Now after put some miles on the truck they seemed to have learned the correct position.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts