Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I removed my winter tires and rims from my truck and installed the OE tires and rims. TPMS reads the sensors fine and the light is out but the tire locations are not correct as indicated on the instrument cluster. What is the relearn procedure to get the sensors to read the correct position?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Could be part of the reason most offer that as a freebie when buying. I mean, if the system tells you its low, you're going to go look around at your tires and find the right one anyway.
Another thing is, most 'rotations' are just back to front, front to back, so at least you'd know if it's on the right or left side.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be part of the reason most offer that as a freebie when buying. I mean, if the system tells you its low, you're going to go look around at your tires and find the right one anyway.
Another thing is, most 'rotations' are just back to front, front to back, so at least you'd know if it's on the right or left side.
My OCD kicks in when something isn't giving me the correct information.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I used my Autel programmer to change mine when I swapped to the Nismo wheels. They have not yet updated, or at least hadn't as of a few months ago, for the 3.8 motor to be programmed directly via the OBD port. However I simply told it it was a 2019 with a 4.0, plugged it in, and it programmed just fine.

Other tire places miiiiight be able to do it but I would guess they will tell you to go to the dealer as most of them use Autels and will be unlikely to try using the programmer set to 2019 when programming a 2022. They are just going to assume it can't be done outside the dealer.

So basically get an Autel programmer or go to the dealer. Those are ultimately your options. An Autel programmer is nice to have and should last you a super long time, I have a TS501 which is currently available on Amazon for $200 - be sure to click the thing to add the $25 off. Autel units are the ones most commonly used because they work with basically every brand of sensor, and their own MX sensors are great because they can be infinitely reprogrammed and work on all common frequencies across brands.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I used my Autel programmer to change mine when I swapped to the Nismo wheels. They have not yet updated, or at least hadn't as of a few months ago, for the 3.8 motor to be programmed directly via the OBD port. However I simply told it it was a 2019 with a 4.0, plugged it in, and it programmed just fine.

Other tire places miiiiight be able to do it but I would guess they will tell you to go to the dealer as most of them use Autels and will be unlikely to try using the programmer set to 2019 when programming a 2022. They are just going to assume it can't be done outside the dealer.

So basically get an Autel programmer or go to the dealer. Those are ultimately your options. An Autel programmer is nice to have and should last you a super long time, I have a TS501 which is currently available on Amazon for $200 - be sure to click the thing to add the $25 off. Autel units are the ones most commonly used because they work with basically every brand of sensor, and their own MX sensors are great because they can be infinitely reprogrammed and work on all common frequencies across brands.
Autel lists the TS508 for 2022 frontier. I do have one but haven’t rotated my tires yet to use and test out. Will in about 2k more miles at next oil change

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV CC SWB / 1997 Hardbody D21 KC
64 Posts
Happened to stumble upon this. Haven't yet verified if it'll work for the '22

·
Registered
435 Posts
I’ve know about that, doubtful it works on 3rd gen with individual tpms readings

·
Registered
301 Posts
Autel lists the TS508 for 2022 frontier. I do have one but haven’t rotated my tires yet to use and test out. Will in about 2k more miles at next oil change
I think maybe all of the Autel 5xx units are identical besides the software they ship with? Not 100% sure but they all appear to be the same thing. Would maybe have to ask Autel to be sure but I think an updated 501 would be the same as an 508? Autel is a Chinese company and re-releasing the same product over and over is a common thing for them to keep prices up. I can verify the 501 works with the 3.8 just fine.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I remember reading that post when I had my 2013. I wouldn't want to chance ground the connector but I'll check and see if I can find the connector.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also looked to no avail. Need a wiring diagram to verify if the connector exists in our 3rd Gen. Damnit, I fear an Autel programmer is in my near future.
I have a OBD2 interface that I use with my laptop and use a free version of Techstream which allows me to do everything needed on my Toyota. I just need to find Nissan Consult or some other program that will allow me to communicate to the Nissan.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is software out there to communicate Nissan Datascan/Carista/Torque/Uprev. However, I haven't found a single one to access TPMS, only BCM and ECU for actual adjustments.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is software out there to communicate Nissan Datascan/Carista/Torque/Uprev. However, I haven't found a single one to access TPMS, only BCM and ECU for actual adjustments.
I found a copy of Consult 3 plus software and in I'm the process of trying to get it to work with my openport interface. Going out to the truck and see what happens.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV CC SWB / 1997 Hardbody D21 KC
64 Posts
I found a copy of Consult 3 plus software and in I'm the process of trying to get it to work with my openport interface. Going out to the truck and see what happens.
What version of the consult software did you get? I think the version for our trucks is v202 or higher.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What version of the consult software did you get? I think the version for our trucks is v202 or higher.
I was V75.15. I was curious if I could connect to the tpms module. I tired three different interfaces without any luck. Openport, MVCI. and Veepeak BL.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't think there is a way around this unfortunately, it requires a TPMS programmer. The third gen lacks a built in tpms program method like the second gen.

I don't know if it's the result of regulations or what but most new cars seem to be this way, TPMS must be programmed via OBDII using a programmer.

If you don't want to buy one you can always ask discount tire to take a look. I'm not a fan at all of their stores but they do program these for free. Just like I said I'm not sure if their programmers are updated yet to do gen 3.

Also I remember what I did now, I told it it was a Rogue Sport, not a Frontier, because they used the 433mhz sensors like the 2022 Frontier. It doesn't matter if the actual model doesn't match; for TPMS programming the car only needs two things - brand and frequency (which is determined by model). All the TPMS computer actually stores is the sensor codes - the code type determines 315mhz vs 433mhz. I remember now trying to program it as a 2019 didn't actually work because it switched the MX sensors into 315mhz mode not 433mhz mode.

So tell the programmer it's a Nissan that uses 433mhz sensors, which is most newerish ones, then scan the sensors and program via OBDII. The car doesn't care you told it the wrong model, all choosing a model does is tell it what frequency to expect. You could tell it it was a Versa and it wouldn't matter so long as the model year Versa you chose uses 433mhz sensors. Maybe Autel has since pushed an update and you won't have to do that. It's been several months so they very well might have.

Yes, it's all a bit silly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts