Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 CC, Midnight edition, white
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Quick question. I know just enough about the TPMS system to be dangerous. Actually that might be overstating my knowledge.

I understand that the TPMS system can only monitor 4 tires at a time.

If I were to rotate all of my tires including the spare, but didn't reprogram the TPMS system, wouldn't the TPMS system actually be monitoring three of my four in use tires as well as my spare? Or is the system smart enough to recognize that the spare (which was previously a monitored tire) is not rotating and cause some type of alert?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But if I did want to do a 5 tire rotation, please see original question above.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Your spare does not have a tpms, if you do a 5 tire rotation, it will continue to read the tire that has been moved to the spare location, whether the tire is rotating or not has no bearing on it being monitored. There really is no reason to do a 5 tire rotation.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 CC SV 4x4 LWB
120 Posts
I think I get what you're asking. If you were to use your spare in the 5 tire rotation (even though the spare does not employee a sensor) would the system be monitoring the 3 in use and the one now being used as the "spare", correct?

It is my understanding that the sensor needs to be spinning to be "awake" and the system to be able to monitor it. If I am wrong, someone chime in and correct me please.

·
Registered
736 Posts
All tires rotating need to have a sensor installed and operable. If not, you will have a flashing tpms light.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You would read 3 functional sensors. One tire on the road without a sensor. Spare, maybe to doubtful. The transmitters do not transmit 24/7. They wake up by tire rotation and start transmitting. You might get enough shake in the bed to sometimes transmit, but most of the time it will be sitting too still and not transmitting. So you will be getting a missing sensor warning a lot of the time.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
This is not entirely true, if it were then they would not false on cold mornings. They may primarily function during rotation, but they "wake up" when they vehicle is started and the initial "burst" from the ECU for information is sent out. Hence, that initial "burst" can trigger the tire in the spare position, but it will not transmit during driving.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting. I am surprised that Nissan includes 5 of the same tire on 5 of the same Midnight edition rims, but doesn't install a TPMS sensor in them all. Not much point in having a matching "spare". And I don't think a 5 tire rotation is an unusual procedure even if you don't agree with it.

I know not putting a 5th TPMS sensor would save them some money. But so would not running fog light wiring in trucks sold without factory fog lights but we know they do that.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV CC 4x4 Automatic LB OEM
14 Posts
I am 99% sure that the BCM can only have 4 tire id's stored for the TPMS sensors. I don't have the scan tool for TPMS but after a glance at the service manual that's my understanding. Cost savings there too I would assume.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am 99% sure that the BCM can only have 4 tire id's stored for the TPMS sensors.
That was my understanding as well. I remember reading posts from people who do 5 tire rotations and I thought they had to adjust which 4 sensors were stored.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts