Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You are missing a key about the tow capacity. The GVW and GCWR is the same. Pro-4x tows less not because of the suspension but because it has a heavier curb weight. The V6 has one GCWR (that is the number in the manual, not the door jam). Package is irrelevent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I drive an F450 everyday with the 6.7L powerstroke. It's not a bad engine by any means, just the diesels of today require more maintenance due to emissions crap. Depending on how often you tow the gasser is the way to go. As far as getting whipped around by the wind, any vehicle will depending on size of trailer. Even semis do. But as far as i know you can still get an F150 with the 5.0L V8 and from my research it is supposed to be a very good motor.
What kind of mileage to you get with the diesel? From what I have read it isn't very good for a diesel.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What kind of mileage to you get with the diesel? From what I have read it isn't very good for a diesel.
No clue what it actually gets. Computer varies from 4-9 mpg but we may sit for several hours or run all day. Truck we're in today was put in service in i think late 2017 and has 9725 hrs just idling.

·
Registered
878 Posts
why on earth are you idling a a light duty pickup truck for. Is that ol good buddy rubber ducky pretend your a truck driver fantasy thing happening or what.

·
Registered
158 Posts
why on earth are you idling a a light duty pickup truck for. Is that ol good buddy rubber ducky pretend your a truck driver fantasy thing happening or what.
I work on an ambulance. We have hvac and refrigerators that'll drain dual batteries rather quickly if not running all day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 2013 crew cab, SV, 4x4 with 5ft bed and tow a 2017 R Pod 179. Trailer factory dry weight was 2880lbs. before mods and typical road weight is maybe 3500lbs but I haven't had it weighed. I have no trouble towing this trailer and wind buffeting doesn't seem excessive but it's the only travel trailer I have ever towed. I use a Fastway E2 10,000lb rated weight distributing hitch with anti-sway because that is what the R Pod dealer stuck me with. It seems to work pretty well though. Recently upgraded the shocks to Bilsteins and notice no difference while towing. R Pods are narrow body trailers though and have reasonably aerodynamic front ends and radiused rear profile. All in all I wish I had bought the long bed version if for no other reason than the 6ft bed is much more useful. Owned a 2012 King Cab and I really do miss that 6ft bed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The Surveyor is 7'4" so not much wider than the Rpod. I think once I sort out the anti sway bar I will. be okay. The installer didn't give us proper instructions on set up and adjustment. Towing power is excellent. Brakes seem really good. I have the right stuff it is just making it work. If not I will buy a bigger truck but I really love the Nissan.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I went from an 8’ box popup, to a Wolf Pup 16BHS, ~1600lbs to just under 4000lbs, never weighed either trailer. I believe this is the limit this truck should tow. Towing with frontier SV was better than Pro-4x, I think that the (rear end) gear ratios and extra weight on the truck has the negative effect. Meaning just in a different point in the powerband/speed, pro4 is better at over 65, but searched for the correct gear to be in between 55-60 compared to SV running better at the 55-60mph range... it’s all personal preference, some people can and do with more trailer sway while others get more bothered by it.

Btw, nobody should be driving above 70-75 with a trailer, most small trailer tires aren’t rated for that speed, especially OEM tires where they cut corners everywhere to give you that low price. I just realized my tires (on the trailer) are rated for 75mph, I’m not comfortable driving that speed while towing.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts