Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towed a 23' x 10' tall travel trailer weighting in the low 4,000 lb range yesterday. We had a 20 mph diagonal cross wind. Buffeting was pretty bad. I have a Reese weight distribution hitch and sway control. We were on the interstate and the passing semis would move us around a bit. I felt pretty good at about 62 to 65 mph. Above that it was moving around a lot. Two lane roads were good. When I turned with the wind the problem was much less. Anyone have more experience with towing in a Frontier. I have a 2018 Pro4 X. I love the truck so I hate to upgrade if this is a fairly normal towing thing regardless of truck.

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
Sounds pretty common for ANY mid size truck. Not sure what you were expecting? Also, the PRO 4X isn't the best of the bunch for towing with the OEM Bilstiens. You can add a leaf, maybe run different shocks may help.

Remember the PRO 4X tows the least because of the suspension. Its the best off road and that is what it was built for, not towing. I think that is why the PRO 4X do not come from the factory with a hitch. They are all dealer added on.

From what your saying with the equip you have installed, everything sounds normal to me.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
You were being pushed around because you have a giant sail with no weight. You will have the same issues with any midsize truck, and even fullsize light trucks.
The waggle is because of a lack of weight in the trailer, tow vehicle, and shorter wheelbase.
Your trailer weighs about as much as the truck.

Remember the PRO 4X tows the least because of the suspension. Its the best off road and that is what it was built for, not towing. I think that is why the PRO 4X do not come from the factory with a hitch. They are all dealer added on.
All the v6 have the same leafpacks. The bils are valved a bit better and so will give a better ride regardless

·
Read Only
295 Posts
You were being pushed around because you have a giant sail with no weight. You will have the same issues with any midsize truck, and even fullsize light trucks.
The waggle is because of a lack of weight in the trailer, tow vehicle, and shorter wheelbase.
Your trailer weighs about as much as the truck.

All the v6 have the same leafpacks. The bils are valved a bit better and so will give a better ride regardless
Leaf packs aside the shock valving is different and that does make a difference.

Do I know this 1st hand? No. Just stories read by people on forums and on YouTube.

It's also backed by the PRO 4X has the least towing ability of all the V6 Frontiers. Reason? Suspension tuning.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Leaf packs aside the shock valving is different and that does make a difference.

Do I know this 1st hand? No. Just stories read by people on forums and on YouTube.

It's also backed by the PRO 4X has the least towing ability of all the V6 Frontiers. Reason? Suspension tuning.
Ya? And i stayed in a Holiday Inn Express... shocks have nothing to do with load capacity. Only springs.
Have you noticed the dealer applied load cap sticker? Its an offset because of dealer installed items. By the sticker im de-rated by 500lbs for a 50lb class 3 hitch.
And i know all this first hand. Verified corner weights, calculated springrates for custom leafpacks and hundreds of towed miles.

·
Read Only
295 Posts
Ya? And i stayed in a Holiday Inn Express... shocks have nothing to do with load capacity. Only springs.
Have you noticed the dealer applied load cap sticker? Its an offset because of dealer installed items. By the sticker im de-rated by 500lbs for a 50lb class 3 hitch.
And i know all this first hand. Verified corner weights, calculated springrates for custom leafpacks and hundreds of towed miles.
Read your manual.
Pro 4x tows the least (V6) Why are you arguing facts?
Unless your factory manual is different than mine.
I'm going by what NISSAN says not the dealer.

·
Read Only
295 Posts
Read your manual.
Pro 4x tows the least (V6) Why are you arguing facts?
Unless your factory manual is different than mine.
I'm going by what NISSAN says not the dealer.

Obvious reason is shock valving or gearing in the 4X?
I don't tow that often you have more experience but what I am saying that shock valving may affect how your truck handles a load in tow and payload.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
View attachment 318844

Obvious reason is shock valving or gearing in the 4X?
I don't tow that often you have more experience but what I am saying that shock valving may affect how your truck handles a load in tow and payload.
Correlation is not causation. If you don't understand how weight ratings work, dont comment on it. The sticker the dealer applies is the final word on your load capacity.
SHOCKS DONT SUPPORT WEIGHT. The only thing they do is reduce suspension oscillation.
Also the black body shocks are softer valved than the bils. That means they do a worse job controlling oscillation.

·
Read Only
295 Posts
Correlation is not causation. If you don't understand how weight ratings work, dont comment on it. The sticker the dealer applies is the final word on your load capacity.
SHOCKS DONT SUPPORT WEIGHT. The only thing they do is reduce suspension oscillation.
Also the black body shocks are softer valved than the bils. That means they do a worse job controlling oscillation.
Quote me where I says shocks support weight? Oh let me help you I didn't so stop.
Shocks control kinetic energy by the springs. Shock valving does affect how a vehicle can handle such energy which MAY affect towing handling.
I'm no expert. Never claimed to be. I follow the manufacturer's recommendations and try to use common sense. That's it. No argument here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys, Didn't mean to start a towing war. I knew all of the issues going in. I wanted a mid size so it would fit in my garage. I picked what I think is the best of the mid size trucks. Overall it does about what I expected with maybe a bit more action from the wind and trucks going by. I will do some more testing but I have heard similar issues with a new F150 aluminum bed. This is a tough situation. I could buy an F350 Diesel and solve a lot of problems. Just what to know what to expect from other owners. I love the Pro4 X and if it is a bit light on towing then that is the case but it is rated 6100 lbs. I know Nissan really reduced the frontal area numbers but I didn't find that out until after I purchase the camper. I suspect I know why but it is not crazy bad. It is a great truck but if I need to go bigger I will.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PS.......trip down to pick up the trailer with no alcohol gas was 20.8 MPG. I was running 65 plus most of the time. Coming home 8.6 running about 65 on the interstate and a bit over 10 on the two lane. Not bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Towed a 23' x 10' tall travel trailer weighting in the low 4,000 lb range yesterday. We had a 20 mph diagonal cross wind. Buffeting was pretty bad. I have a Reese weight distribution hitch and sway control. We were on the interstate and the passing semis would move us around a bit. I felt pretty good at about 62 to 65 mph. Above that it was moving around a lot. Two lane roads were good. When I turned with the wind the problem was much less. Anyone have more experience with towing in a Frontier. I have a 2018 Pro4 X. I love the truck so I hate to upgrade if this is a fairly normal towing thing regardless of truck.
I pull a trailer close to that size GVRW 4500lbs. I did a couple of mods that helped.

1) Firestone Ride Rite air bags
2) Hellwig rear sway bar
3) Replaced sway bar bushings in the front with polyurethane bushings.
4) Good weight distribution hitch (I'm using a Blue Ox)
5) Push the tire pressure in the rear close to max, (38 - 40 lbs)

I have to agree with some of the other comments, light truck, short wheel base, trailer with lots of surface area to catch the wind. You can get by but don't expect to cruse at 75-80 MPH. I hold it around 60 and to pass I may push it to as much as 70 but you'll buffet around when you do especially with tracker trailers and cross winds. I towed mine about 200 miles today and had a couple of crosswind that got my attention.

·
Premium Member
10,239 Posts
This is why out of my 5 frontiers the last four were the long bed as the longer wheel base made it more stable. I pulled a trailer to Florida from New Jersey dozens of times and watched my speed as I try to avoid issues when I can. I now have the Titan as the larger trailers paired to the Frontier started to go over the 2/3’s safety margin I go by. When a trailer goes really squirrelly most often it will roll and the tow vehicle goes too. Stay safe everyone, to quote the old Florida motto “arrive alive”.

Clint

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would think the reasoning for the lowest rating is due to the pro4x being the heaviest? Heavier wheels, tires, skids, possibly heavier rear axle. Gcvw is say 10k, truck weighs 4k as an sv 4x4. Change that to a pro4x and now truck weighs 4500. Gcvw doesnt change so you went from 6k tow rating to 5500 tow rating only because the truck weighs more and ate into your tow rating.

Numbers are for example only, i don't know what the gcvw or curb weight is on the frontiers. Haven't looked it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is why out of my 5 frontiers the last four were the long bed as the longer wheel base made it more stable. I pulled a trailer to Florida from New Jersey dozens of times and watched my speed as I try to avoid issues when I can. I now have the Titan as the larger trailers paired to the Frontier started to go over the 2/3’s safety margin I go by. When a trailer goes really squirrelly most often it will roll and the tow vehicle goes too. Stay safe everyone, to quote the old Florida motto “arrive alive”.
Yep, you're right on this one.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get the F350 if you'll be towing alot. If your little truck buffets around in the wind now, just imagine what it will feel like when a tire blows out in a curve or an elk walks out in front of you on a dark rainy night.Frontiers are great up to about 2500# but above that you need to keep your speed way slower like 55mph max.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Depending on how often you tow, a heavier vehicle would be a good option. But honestly a 3/4 ton would do just fine. If you look around might find some f250 gassers for a decent price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am still debating. After I tightened the sway control a bit it was very drivable at 62 to 65 mph. I did a bit of reading on the ford diesel last night and the fuel economy didn't look very good. I would probably prefer a gas engine. I don't know anything about the twin turbo v6 but I have friend that tows a slightly larger trailer with one in a 1/2 ton and says he still get buffeting about 65. I think to reduce the problem I probably need to go heavier. This is all new to me. I have towed boats and cars on open trailers but never experienced the buffeting problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am still debating. After I tightened the sway control a bit it was very drivable at 62 to 65 mph. I did a bit of reading on the ford diesel last night and the fuel economy didn't look very good. I would probably prefer a gas engine. I don't know anything about the twin turbo v6 but I have friend that tows a slightly larger trailer with one in a 1/2 ton and says he still get buffeting about 65. I think to reduce the problem I probably need to go heavier. This is all new to me. I have towed boats and cars on open trailers but never experienced the buffeting problem.
I drive an F450 everyday with the 6.7L powerstroke. It's not a bad engine by any means, just the diesels of today require more maintenance due to emissions crap. Depending on how often you tow the gasser is the way to go. As far as getting whipped around by the wind, any vehicle will depending on size of trailer. Even semis do. But as far as i know you can still get an F150 with the 5.0L V8 and from my research it is supposed to be a very good motor.

·
Registered
Great truck
676 Posts
Yes you can still get the 5.0 but the ecoboost motors are rated for more for towing, I believe. And I think the 2.7 is the best option from the second gen ecoboosts, which is 2017 till now. The first gen ecoboosts had timing chain trouble on the 2.7 but they still run till over 200k with no fluid leaks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts