Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
I just found out the coolant temp gauge has a confusing label underneath, it says AT oil temp. Apparently there’s an idiot light, and the gauge is actually coolant temp, but it’s not a legit gauge, it’s an idiot needle with three positions:

Cold, warm, and way too hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is in your factory gauge cluster? or is this something aftermarket?

·
Read Only
295 Posts
Factory. Go look at it. The temp gauge says “AT Oil Temp”

I am going to look right now...haha Luckily I have the wife's truck with me right now.....took it on a trip to visit my folks 😎

·
Read Only
295 Posts
OMG I never noticed that. You are absolutely right. There is no mechanical coolant temp gauge. Just learned something today. Thank You. 👍👍

·
Registered
163 Posts
OMG I never noticed that. You are absolutely right. There is no mechanical coolant temp gauge. Just learned something today. Thank You.
View attachment 318883
Just to be clear, because I can’t tell from your response. The needle is a gauge for the coolant temp, not AT oil temp. That label is for a tiny little idiot light under the coolant temp gauge, and the coolant temp gauge is not a true temps gauge. It only has three positions: cold, operating-temp, and overheated.

At least, that’s what another member here informed me of the other day.

·
Read Only
295 Posts
Just to be clear, because I can’t tell from your response. The needle is a gauge for the coolant temp, not AT oil temp. That label is for a tiny little idiot light under the coolant temp gauge, and the coolant temp gauge is not a true temps gauge. It only has three positions: cold, operating-temp, and overheated.

At least, that’s what another member here informed me of the other day.

Ok, so it is indeed a coolant temp gauge, BUT there is an idiot light that comes on in that circle within the gauge that tells you your AT temp is getting hot? The Part that says AT TEMP lights up or something?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok, so it is indeed a coolant temp gauge, BUT there is an idiot light that comes on in that circle within the gauge that tells you your AT temp is getting hot? The Part that says AT TEMP lights up or something?
Yes. Sorta. It tells you when it’s hot, or too hot, apparently nobody knows exactly what temp triggers the light.

·
Read Only
295 Posts
Yes. Sorta. It tells you when it’s hot, or too hot, apparently nobody knows exactly what temp triggers the light.

Ok Thanks for the info, its what I get for not reading the manual completely. Learned something today. 👍

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You only see that on the white face gauges. The black face gauges also have the warning light but you don't see it when it is off. When they did the white face gauges they left a cutout for the light to come through. Now it looks like a label when it is really just an un-lit warning light.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You only see that on the white face gauges. The black face gauges also have the warning light but you don't see it when it is off. When they did the white face gauges they left a cutout for the light to come through. Now it looks like a label when it is really just an un-lit warning light.
In the end it just confuses people! Bad idea.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The aluminum f150 isn’t much heavier than the frontier. In fact, only about 200lb. My pro-4x, with rack, toolbox, and me, is 5200 on the scale

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
In the end it just confuses people! Bad idea.

But people wanted white face gauges, so that is what you get. Same old gauges, just a white face.
If you read the owner's manual it is described in there. It points out the engine coolant gauge and the transmission temperature warning light. Another one of those "read the manual" items.

·
Read Only
295 Posts
But people wanted white face gauges, so that is what you get. Same old gauges, just a white face.
If you read the owner's manual it is described in there. It points out the engine coolant gauge and the transmission temperature warning light. Another one of those "read the manual" items.
I actually love the white faced gauges. Much easier for me to read. In my case it's my wife's truck not mine so I hardly drive it. I just happened to be driving it to visit my parents and never noticed the "A/T Temp" before. Just over looked it.

An idiot light is better than nothing.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I don't get why they put none functioning gauges in their dash rather than just an idiot light, they could save another 30 bucks a truck. I guess people feel safe an secure looking at a needle that never moves and in reality is just and off-on switch

·
Read Only
295 Posts
I don't get why they put none functioning gauges in their dash rather than just an idiot light, they could save another 30 bucks a truck. I guess people feel safe an secure looking at a needle that never moves and in reality is just and off-on switch
Its true what your saying, but obviously with the hundreds of thousands of these trucks/SUV's (Xterra, Pathfinder) with the same set up, if there was an issue we would have heard about it.

I know early versions had the radiator issues like the Titan's did but that was early on. If the gauge part was such an issue? Just proves it really isn't.

Most folks I know that tow frequently have either a bluetooth OBDII controller or something like it to keep an eye on actual temps. So that is always an option that doesn't cost much.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts