Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchasing a travel trailer and tow it with my 2008 Frontier Crew Cab NISMO. Although the truck is supposed to tow over 6000 lbs I'm just not sure about the weight of the trailer that I should buy. Anyone with experience and recommendations? Need to install a transmission cooler?:hi:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You should be fine towing anything where your truck + what you tow is less than or equal to the GWVR. If you choose to approach this weight with a trailer please use a weight distributing hitch and anti sway connections.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
You already have a trans cooler built into your radiator but an additional one wouldn't hurt.

A WD hitch and some sway bars would help. Maybe even invest in the hellwig rear sway bar to help with the body roll.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If you do a search, there is a recent thread with a bumch of pics of what people are towing. That might help. And welcome?

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Did the search for ya. These should answer all your questions. As long as you are within the weight rating of the truck you should be fine. Just be careful with how long and tall the trailer is. With your short wheel base it won't be as easy to keep it under control if it starts to sway, if it's too long.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/travel-trailer-towing-questions-48442/

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/towing-concerns-47660/

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/camping-frontier-towing-camper-47817/

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/question-about-towing-47151/

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm looking to purchasing a travel trailer. Although the truck is supposed to tow over 6000 lbs I'm just not sure about the weight of the trailer that I should buy. Anyone with experience and recommendations? :hi:
You and I are in the same boat. I get mixed opinions from everyone I speak with besides the RV dealers selling the stupid things! I live in Utah so everywhere I usually go camping has quite a bit of vert; so I don't know how well the truck would do pulling/braking the mountains.

Let me know what you decide. I am considering a 24ft 4600 dry weight trailer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You and I are in the same boat. I get mixed opinions from everyone I speak with besides the RV dealers selling the stupid things! I live in Utah so everywhere I usually go camping has quite a bit of vert; so I don't know how well the truck would do pulling/braking the mountains.

Let me know what you decide. I am considering a 24ft 4600 dry weight trailer.
Speaking from experience a 24ft travel trailer is too much for the frontier, you would definately know it's back there with a titan. I was towing 18ft raineer, dry weight was 4200lbs. got rid of it, I now pull a shadow cruiser 18fbs. the trailer is 18ft from bumper to hitch, living space is only 16ft. Dry weight is 2960lbs. I pulled onto a truck scale and when fully loaded with all camping gear and water and it was 3500lbs flat......going up the rockies I was wishing I had a V8.
In my opinion anything bigger is too much because you have to consider wind resistance at speed.
When it comes to braking down steep slopes, dont worry I hardly ever use my brakes, the trailer acts as a huge parashute. gas mialage is on average around 7.5mpg's.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I would say that is pretty solid advice for the post above. We recently picked up a new Travel Trailer. It's a Jayco Jayfeather Sport, which is just under 21' and gvwr of 4750#
We did a 1400km round trip to Liard Hotsprings BC last month and the Pathfinder got about 9-10 mpg's. I was driving at about 65-70mph. On a few steep hills I had to drop into 2nd and stayed at around 40mph. I thought is was overall an enjoyable ride, the Pathfinder tows great, and once I even passed a guy! lol
After that trip I set the hitch up to work for the Frontier. The Frontier tows great as well. I get cruising and get set in around 2500rpm's on the flats. For hills I use 3rd and try to keep the engine in the upper rpm's as it tends to get bogged down if you let ehr drop below 3k going up hill.
I also use a wdHitch and the trailer and frontier sit almost perfectley level. The Frontier has a slightly lowered front, and a well setup hitch gets you level or just slightly nose high. Trailer brakes work great, only problem for me is they put the brake controller in a position that will totally smash my right shin.

camping is fun...my .02 cents :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Stick with 50-75% of the rated and listed towing capacity of the truck and you should be fine. I would not suggest approaching anywhere near the rated capacity for the truck. THAT is a serious exaggeration by Nissan. 6500# behind a Nissan Frontier is not even in the realm of sanity. I can almost guaratee you would not have an enjoyable experience towing over 6K with your truck and one or the other would get sold after a couple of harrowing trips if you were smart.

Buy the best brake controller you can buy and buy a weight distributing hitch with a serious sway control system (you'll know why when the first big rig passes you). Add the largest auxiliary transmission cooler you can fit on the truck. THAT is your weakest link.

Don't believe ANYTHING the RV dealer tells you about what you can and cannot tow. They are deperate for sales these days and will tell you anything to get a sale even if it puts you or your vehicle at risk.

Larry:)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i've been towing RVs for about 6 years now, all i can say is PRODIGY and DUAL CAM SWAY CONTROL. I'm in the market for a travel trailer with a max dry weight of 4000 lbs, max length box length of 18' preferably a 17', max dry tongue weight of 400 lbs.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Don't believe ANYTHING the RV dealer tells you about what you can and cannot tow. They are deperate for sales these days and will tell you anything to get a sale even if it puts you or your vehicle at risk.

Larry:)
That is great advice! Our dealer(FraserwayRV) pretty much screwed up everything possible when we got our Jayco this year. They had it set up for the Pathfinder and it was nose high which is pretty unsafe. They also didn't have the propane tank purged! :crikey:
After a few months with our trailer I would call it an enjoyable drive with the vq40. I don't think I would go over 5k gvwr with the Frontier. Like I have said before our trailer has a gvwr of 4750# and my Frontier is bone stock with a heavy front bumper and heavy a/t tires. Not to mention a Zodiac in the back which when you add in the motor and the gas you're looking at a 400# load in the bed. A Frontier that has some performance mods, and maybe superchips....would consider approaching 5500-5750gvwr.

Keep in mind I am just a weekend camper for now. I might want at least a half ton truck if I was to do some real traveling with the trailer.
We are neighbours with Alaska here, so we see thousands of tow rigs passing through. You do see the odd small vehicle towing, however that vast vast majority are 3/4 & 1 tons.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I tow a camper that sits about (currently) 4800-4900lbs ready to roll. The truck pulls it fine, and on the flats am able to use overdrive. I set cruise control to 62mph (per speedo, gps says that's 55mph) to 65MPH and take it easy. When approaching a large hill, I'll manually downshift to 3rd so it won't kick down under load.

If you pull in very mountanous terrain - you'll need a V8. There is no question about that. I'll be getting a V8 in the future once we start traveling a lot more with this camper. Will probably be a used V8 Pathy or a V8 Explorer Sport Track :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well on Sat I'm towing my daughter's Lexus IS300 (3250 lbs) to a Lexus dealer in Knoxville TN. A friend of mine loaned me his trailer for the trip. I would say the trailer ( flatbed ) with ramps will weigh about 1500 lbs maybe 1800. Will have a couple of steep grades to climb but once I get on I 40 it should be better. I'll keep you all posted on the trip. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
Well on Sat I'm towing my daughter's Lexus IS300 (3250 lbs) to a Lexus dealer in Knoxville TN. A friend of mine loaned me his trailer for the trip. I would say the trailer ( flatbed ) with ramps will weigh about 1500 lbs maybe 1800. Will have a couple of steep grades to climb but once I get on I 40 it should be better. I'll keep you all posted on the trip. Wish me luck.
GOOD LUCK!

Clint

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does someone have a picture of their Class IV hitch (OEM) with it connected to a trailer? I know the OEM hitch has sway bars but I want to see how they're connected.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Update on my tow on sat. We got the front wheels to go stright. So now I'm going to use a dolly. She lost her one and only key to her Lexus IS300. DON"T LOSE ALL YOUR KEYS!!!. Will cost her $400.00 to have a new key made and rescan the ECM. She bought the car used and only had one key, no FOB. So it will be a fairly easy pull at 3250 lbs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought a Dutchman 27B in June, pulled it to hell's canyon and back (360 miles round trip). trailer is 4600lbs dry. I was able to drive 60-65 on the freeway in 5th gear and pulled the big hills at 40-45mph in 3rd. It's big but it pulls great. You will not be setting any land speed records but you can do it with no problems. I do have the 6 speed which helps. I do recommend a swaybar, and I will be picking one up. When I drove home we had some high winds but the truck still pulled it great, just slower than normal. My brother in law was pulling his dad's 19ft. bantom trailer (3000lbs ish dry) with his 05 tacoma and I could keep pace everywhere but the big hills. These trucks are stronger than people think. Drive slow and your good too go!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Frontier4life2008

I don't know the elevations you traveled on your trip but when I think of big hills, they are 10000' passes in Colorado. Usually 7% grade for 10+ miles. While my truck has pulled my trailer over these hills, I certainly worry for the longterm durability of the engine, transmission, and rear diff under these conditions. The engine was working extremely hard in 2nd gear just to maintain an upper 30's mph. 3rd gear was useless much of the time.

Many vehicles could tow a trailer like yours once, maybe twice. The key is durability. Having towed my same trailer with a 1/2 ton truck with a V8 was a completely different experience. Not effortless but the engine was under significantly less stress leading me to believe that it would last longer under these conditions. BTW, towing the same trailer with a 3/4 ton was effortless. Truly couldn't tell the trailer was even there( as befits a vehicle engineered for towing large loads).

I don't think there has been anyone here who has said our truck couldn't pull travel trailers. But just because it can do it, doesn't mean it is safe or is going to last very long doing it. As far as safe goes, there is no way it is safe to pull a TT that size without a WD hitch AND sway control. I tried it once and I will never forget the first time a tractor trailer passed me. Never again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey we have a 2008 Forest River Shamrock 23 foot trailer (Model 23B) dry weight is 3511 lbs and gross is 5082 lbs. You sure do know that something is back there and pack a lunch if its a big hill, but the Fronty pulls her like a champ. With overdrive off and at 100-105 km/hr the rpm's are at 3000 and thats bucking good'ole praire wind (my luck I push it no matter what direction I go) a full tank gets us 350-400 km. Very happy and she has run a few times on fumes while dad has pushed his limits on the old how far can we go game. (75 liter tank and put in 84 liters once, my nuts were in a sling that time).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts