Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are looking at buying a travel trailer. Gulfstream Innsbruck 20qbg to be exact.

The camper weighs 4600 lbs dry which should be well within my towing ability. However, the tongue weight is just over 600lbs. I will definitely be getting a weight distributing hitch and pack toward the back but was wondering if anyone here has experience with towing similarly and if I am crazy or is it doable.

I want to be able to hit the road and go to different states camping. I know it will be work in hills but hopefully fairly uneventful just rolling down the interstate.

2016 CC Pro4x

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Interesting to see what the verdict it

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
655 Posts
If I remember correctly the tongue weight max is 610 pounds. Seems you are maxing out the weight. There was also something in the owners manual regarding front surface area of trailers.

I don't tow. I would recommend you talk to your Nissan dealer regarding the trailer. Expect your mpg to drop significantly.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
It's 610 on some models and 630 on others. Refer the owner's manual for you maximum tongue weight. I think you can probably do it as long as you don't add too much weight to the front of the trailer and raise that tongue weight. Load distributing hitch would be a must. You will be definitely be at the high end of your limits. Make sure your tires are up to the task, as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tongue weight would be at max but weight distributing hitch will relieve a lot of that and I will pack gear in the back of the trailer further reducing tongue weight.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I just wanted to look at it Is this it BTW nice trailer
https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/products/travel-trailers/innsbruck/model/20QBG
I don't mean to burst your bubble greystone but I wouldn't with that tongue the weight is fine we can pull it and stop it by the books an law but it is showing a 820 tongue???. Now with weight distribution its called for anything over 5k on ours to tow so you don't look like a big V on the road an end up a pizza pie all it does is help transfer some of the weight forward it does increase our towing but there's a safe limit to everything I'm not saying no for short hop down to local watering hole just over any regular distance with our pu I'd go for a lighter tongue

·
Registered
675 Posts
tongue weight would be at max but weight distributing hitch will relieve a lot of that and I will pack gear in the back of the trailer further reducing tongue weight.
And add single or dual sways to that. What it is for some reason kept the wheels further back on this model increasing tongue do you know if this model is also offered as a toy hauler I think that would account for it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
tongue weight is 640lbs. that is a typo on the website.

That is why I was thinking between loading properly and using an Anderson weight distribuity hitch I could effectively bring that down to 400-500lbs.

I was curious about being a toy hauler chassis as well but this is the only floor plan they have at that length.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I tow my off-road truck on a trailer and it weighs 4500lbs for just the truck. Recently added a add a leaf and that has helped handle the load better. Going to get a weight distribution hitch before I go to North Carolina this fall. I have done several 1 to 2 hour drives with this setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tow my off-road truck on a trailer and it weighs 4500lbs for just the truck. Recently added a add a leaf and that has helped handle the load better. Going to get a weight distribution hitch before I go to North Carolina this fall. I have done several 1 to 2 hour drives with this setup.
couple of nice trucks Nitroman. I have the PRG 2 leaf AAL.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
IMHO, that's too much trailer for this truck. You don't have much capacity left once you add people, water, and stuff. It will do it, but it will not be an enjoyable experience... That size of a trailer is much better suited for a 1/2 ton truck. I'd try to stay under 3000lbs dry.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IMHO, that's too much trailer for this truck. You don't have much capacity left once you add people, water, and stuff. It will do it, but it will not be an enjoyable experience... That size of a trailer is much better suited for a 1/2 ton truck. I'd try to stay under 3000lbs dry.

would a little shot of nitrous change your mind? :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
11,609 Posts
Your life hangs in the middle of this equation. I'd go up to a half ton truck or select a different trailer. This is like playing with a grenade. Get a decent cross wind while cruising and if you don't lose it, you'll go straight and buy new undershorts.

Clint

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
would a little shot of nitrous change your mind? :surprise:
Nope, its not power that is the problem... Its the weight/wheelbase of the truck and the stopping power. The truck has a gvwr of only about 5000lbs, a trailer that is 4600 dry is going to win in a pushing battle... By all means give it a go if you are that determined to get the trailer, just don't be surprised if you start looking a half tons after the tow home (been there, done that). It will not be an enjoyable experience towing that much with this truck.

Also, towing nearly anything with a large frontal area with these trucks results in near single digit MPG. Most I've seen reported are in the 8-12 range.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I recently purchased a Starcraft 187TB

I will tell you that I feel comfortable hauling it. The only time I felt like I had 4000+ lbs behind me was on the big hills. Keep in mind I have never hauled anything with a hitch before this.

With the proper brake controller set up correctly you won't have an issue stopping that. I have a tekonsha P3 set to 8.5 and boost 1.

The 600 lbs. tongue weight will be an issue. Weight distribution will help, but you'll need bags or timbrens to raise the rear. Even with WD my rear sets pretty low loaded at 445 lbs. tongue. I believe I could use something to raise the rear.

I think your gvwr is too high.

On my trip I had a full bed, full truck, and about half the cargo capacity in the camper.
My truck did pretty good on the road. Mileage was around 10-12. So I wouldn't want to go to anything heavier with a fronty.

Also I had no issues with sway fully loaded using a
E2 fastway 600 lb round bar WD

Now when I traveled unloaded I could feel the lack of tongue weight and over distribution. I still didn't have issues, but you can definitely feel the difference.

My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Your life hangs in the middle of this equation. I'd go up to a half ton truck or select a different trailer. This is like playing with a grenade. Get a decent cross wind while cruising and if you don't lose it, you'll go straight and buy new undershorts.

Clint
Not his life I would be worried about. If he wants to risk his life, that is fine with me but not anybody else's.

·
Super Moderator
11,609 Posts
Not his life I would be worried about. If he wants to risk his life, that is fine with me but not anybody else's.
You are ABSOLUTELY correct, good catch, I should have pointed that out. I watch lots of RV videos on you tube and have seen way too many trailers and tow vehicles flip over and all those poor souls who just happen to be too close by.

Clint

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I wouldnt tow something that big without a full sizer but I usually fail conservative on things like this. The more stress/strain on tranny/engine the more chance for problems. My trailer has a GVWR of less than 3600 lbs and if i wanted bigger I would step up to a Titan. Just me i spose

1 - 20 of 53 Posts